Custom machine build probs :(

Gary Jackson

Inactive User
Reaction score
You all may well know i'm trying to build a machine by my self for the bairn. I'v managed to get all the connections right except the power led lead (no led on the power light) but thats another story!..anyway all componats are fitted correctly (I think) as when on my first boot I got a good post screen detecting all that is fitted. Only prob I have now is installing windows XP Pro....or any other OS as it happens..... all that is happening is windows gets to installing all the files/ drivers etc.... gets to the end of that then wants to reboot after 15 seconds...It then reboots and gives me this (see attach)....Have I done something wrong?......I have Fdisk the hdd, created an NTFS partition, made it active etc, etc....but after numerous attempts I still get this attched post screen...any ideas guys?

PS, had to take a picture of it with the camera, so thats why the quality is so bad...soz

btw this is the componants that is in it:

1 x AMD Sempron 3100+ (SDA3100BABOX) Skt754 256kb Cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor With 3 Year
Warranty Includes Heatsink and Fan.
1 x ECS K8 NVIDIA Socket 754 DDR400 AGP (P21110) NFORCE3-A ATX Retail Box
2 x Kingston 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz CL3 Memory Module
1 x Ebuyer Extra Value 0314TL-BB ATX Gaming Case in Black with USB/Audio/1394 Side window and 350w
PSU(no power cord)
1 x LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM
1 x Mitsumi OEM Black Internal Floppy Drive 1.44mb 3.5 Inch
1 x MSI Mx4000-T128 AGP 128MB DDR TV-Out Retail Box
1 x Western Digital WD2000JB SE 200GB 7200RPM ATA/100 8MB Cache - OEM
1 x Samsung SM913N 19" TFT 8ms 700:1 (1280x1024) Monitor - Silver & Black (3 Years On Site
Warranty)

Last edited:
The files anit going onto the hard drive correctly IMO, it's searching for a boot device but has the second time round you (rightly) have not pressed a key to boot from cd it is finding no other boot sorce.

I would wait till you new hard drive arrives personally and in the mean time double check everything, make sure the cpu is seated correctl also the heat sink is the correct wat round, coz if not that could dislodge the cpu and cause problems.

This is the joy of system building ;) As for the power light there will be a connection for it ;)

Make sure memory is seated snuggly also maybe swop the slots about.

Even if you have done all this, do it again.

Post back an update.

Check in the bios for the thing called VIRUS PROTECTION. and disable it, will stop the disk being written to, another is may be a duff cd or cd drive, try a different one.

Have you tried the HDD in another machine?

I sometimes copy the setup files on another machine, and at the point of isntallation restarting (before it gets a bit more graphical and starts configuring windows) power down and put the hard drive back in the new machine and let it resume from there (Im skeptical as to wether this will work)

Alternately just try installing windows on another box using that HDD and see if it has any problems, if it works elsewhere make it a slave in another machine and remove all partitions and re-init them.

As for the power LED, have you located a socket for it and its just not working? Something people forget about LEDs is that they are Diodes and need to be connected the right way around, the pin on the black socket which has a triangle (like an arrow) on it is the positive line.
If there doesnt seem to be a socket we have a totally bizarre issue but Im sure there will be a way to hook it up to maybe the 5v line (red on the IDE power molex) so that when your PC powers up the LED light gets some juice.

Hope i've been able to help in some areas.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I'v just formatted a new maxtor 40gig on my machine (not the one i'm building) and installed xp pro & sp2 with no problems at all, then I put it in the new machine. I'v set the maxtor on master & the dvd rom on slave....all is getting detected in the bios np....memory clocking up ok... all looks good till it trys to boot from the hdd....then returns back to first post splash screen....

Really doing my head in now, was up till 5am this morning banging my head against it!!!!

btw I done all you said Dutchy.....

another point is make sure its set to boot from the HDD, check in bios 1st device=YOUR HDD, enable BOOT FROM OTHER it may be set to raid or cdrom and not checking other devices

reddevil said:
another point is make sure its set to boot from the HDD, check in bios 1st device=YOUR HDD, enable BOOT FROM OTHER it may be set to raid or cdrom and not checking other devices

Its set to boot from:

Hdd
Cdrom
Floppy

Raid by defalt is set to Disable
Been through the bios with the manual, well as much of it as I could understand, possibly may be a hardware issue...I dont know.

Edit: Dutchy has kindly offererd to take a look it for me, he would have a better diagnostic view of it. Cheers Dutchy, nice one.

Last edited:
Back