Cure Me . Please ....

themonk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all , I have a broken heart today when my 1TB Maxtor External Harddrive is suddently not being recognize by my computer . Its used to be Ok with my Window 7 system just a little anoying pop up every time I had a USB connect , it's alwways ask for scanning ?? even thought that I know there is nothing wrong with the External Harddrive !! but today when I try to plug in , the computer recognize them as a drive with a letter H , but I can't open it ? It's says parameter incorrect or sometime its asking to format the drive ?? I had a fully data in it with almost to the capacity of the drive ( 1TB ) like family picture and my recently wedding album on it , more than that is my study project . I did try to plug in in difference computer OS like Window Xp and Vista , but no luck . Any one have a heart here can tell me what to do to recover my broken heart ..Please

Try removing the drive from the housing and see if it works in a pc, maybe the external housing is the faulty bit and the drive is ok (unlikely but possible) or even if it detects in the bios, if it does you may be able to recover some/all of the data.

other things that may work
turning it upsides down, or giving it a tap, followed by a whack if that doesn't work, failing that you could stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours (inside a ziplock bag) and see if that works, it wont last long if it does so get the important stuff first.

Last edited:
Try removing the drive from the housing and see if it works in a pc, maybe the external housing is the faulty bit and the drive is ok (unlikely but possible) or even if it detects in the bios, if it does you may be able to recover some/all of the data.

other things that may work
turning it upsides down, or giving it a tap, followed by a whack if that doesn't work, failing that you could stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours (inside a ziplock bag) and see if that works, it wont last long if it does so get the important stuff first.

Thank for input , is there other method that can recover it by software ??

GetDataBack - either FAT32 or NTFS Version (depending on the file system of the hard disk - if u didn't format it, they usually come as FAT32). Make sure u know the drive letter then scan it. it will take a long time if it's a 1TB drive and i'm talking hours but if it's just lost the partition it should recover it.

the reason why it was asking you to scan each time u connected it is because you must have never removed it correctly the last time i.e. using the 'safely remove hardware' icon on the system tray.

If it is seeing the drive and suggesting a format, then it means data is likely recoverable. I agree to use GetDataBack but yes it is a long process on 1TB.

If it is seeing the drive and suggesting a format, then it means data is likely recoverable. I agree to use GetDataBack but yes it is a long process on 1TB.

GetdataBack is the names of the software ?? that I have to buy to get it recover my harddrive ?

the reason why it was asking you to scan each time u connected it is because you must have never removed it correctly the last time i.e. using the 'safely remove hardware' icon on the system tray.

I never unplug my External Harddrive ..! it always turn on and off with my computer

You should never do a whole drive recovery to the source drive - you run the risk of overwriting data. So you are going to need another 1TB of drive space to recover to...

thats a valid point LP, when i've recovered data its always on to a pc with lots of spare space, but you forget 1tb is a lot to attempt to recover, so it will need a spare 1tb drive. Good call :)

thank you all mate ..very informative will do all your advise and let you know what happen

it's been very , very long time to wait for 1 TB to finish scanning by using getdataback , but somehow it works !! I did managed to recover some of my importance back in time . Thank you all of you mate for the Help

that's what the forum's here for m8. :)

Back