Crouch poised for Pompey switch

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
_44775651_-7.jpg

Peter Crouch is poised to complete his switch from Liverpool to Portsmouth in a deal that could be worth up to £11m.

The two clubs reached an agreement over the weekend and Liverpool confirmed on Monday they had given the 27-year-old permission to talk.

"We have reached a verbal agreement with Portsmouth and have given them permission to speak with Peter," a Liverpool statement said.

Crouch wants to link up with Pompey again six years after leaving.

He will team up with Jermain Defoe in a new-look Portsmouth attack next season.

Liverpool are expected to initially receive in the region of £9m for Crouch, who joined the club from Southampton in July 2005 but only started nine Premier League games last term.

Anfield boss Rafael Benitez initially said he would consider offers for Crouch in the region of £15m but has been forced to scale back his demands for a player with only a year left on his current contract.

Crouch has scored 40 goals in 135 appearances for Liverpool but has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place in recent times.

He was relegated behind Fernando Torres, who scored 33 goals for the Reds after signing from Atletico Madrid last summer.

However, he was a popular figure with Liverpool fans and still managed to net 11 goals as he was mainly used as a substitute by Benitez.

Crouch started his career as a trainee at Tottenham before moves to QPR, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Norwich - where he had a spell on loan - Southampton and Liverpool.

Source

Curly

Look forward to having him back, think he will work well with defoe

he should do m8, " {goal ratio to minutes played at pool, puts him up there with the best [apart from the lean spell when he 1st went there}------i dont think he got a fair crack of the whip.

good luck to him he's a good player

Last edited:
I for one will miss him. He did a very good job every time played, and given the chance I think he could have formed a very good partnership with Torres.

Hi

I dont want him to go either. For a big guy he has a good first touch, bought other players into the game and scored goals. i think he should have had a better chance. He`l be Liverpools loss and Pompeys gain.

I realy liked big Crouch, a very skillful guy for the size of him. I will be sorry to see him go but he wasn't getting a chance so its best for his career to move on and best of luck to him.

Hi

I dont want him to go either. For a big guy he has a good first touch, bought other players into the game and scored goals. i think he should have had a better chance. He`l be Liverpools loss and Pompeys gain.

i could'nt have put it better myself m8, {it will be interesting to see who they replace him with}

One of the best strikers in the Premiership, he is just so intelligent, he seems to do everything right even though it all looks so wrong, if you get what I mean.

Brilliant touch also, wish Keano had at least made an effort to get him. But no, we are again looking at wannabees who don't even want to come here in the first place!!

A shame to see him go i just hope he dont bite us on the arse!

As for David Villa im not sure yes his a great player but what ive seenn of him he is just like Gerrard an attacking midfielder and how many midfielders do we need?

Crouch is a striker and done a bloody good job for us and played well alongside Torres when given the chance.

Peter Crouch has completed a medical at Portsmouth and is expected to finalise his £11m move to Fratton Park on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old, who will link up with Pompey again six years after leaving, was praised for his contribution by Reds boss Rafael Benitez.

"He is a good professional and we would have wanted him to stay," he said.

"We offered him a new contract. But sometimes you have to understand the player. He wanted to play a lot more."

The Spaniard added: "With Fernando Torres now first choice, that [playing more] was always going to be difficult.

"I can understand Peter's situation. But he did very well for this club and we always supported him when people doubted the decision to bring him to Anfield."

Crouch will team up with Jermain Defoe in a new-look Portsmouth attack next season.

Liverpool are expected to initially receive in the region of £9m for Crouch, who joined the club from Southampton in July 2005 but only started nine Premier League games last term.

Benitez initially said he would consider offers for Crouch in the region of £15m but has been forced to scale back his demands for a player with only a year left on his current contract.

Good luck to the big guy, Thought he was a very skillful guy on the deck, those crazy long legs of his! Shame he couldnt get some power behind his headers!

Get playing and get your England place back ahead of that over rated rooney!

I hope he gets treated better at Pompey. He's not the worst player about yet never got the games he deserved. Good Luck Crouchy

Peter Crouch has completed his move to Portsmouth from Liverpool in a deal that could be worth up to £11m.

The 27-year-old returns to Pompey six years after leaving and will work with boss Harry Redknapp for the third time in his career.

Crouch said: "It's fantastic to be back. I believe Harry gets the best out of me and think the best years of my career can be here."

full story

Back