Cross Game Chat is coming

deedie

DW Regular
Reaction score
Cross-game chat is coming to the PlayStation Network! After what seems like years of demand, Sony has announced cross-game chat, which allows PSN members to talk to each other, even while playing different games. However, the oft-demanded feature does come with one large caveat: chats can only be initiated by PlayStation Plus members.

PlayStation Plus members will be able to send invites to any member of the PlayStation Network, free or paid. Up to four PSN members can be in a party chat, however at least one participant must be a member of PlayStation Plus. The chat will discontinue if all paying members disconnect.

While some may be disappointed that such a hotly demanded feature is closed behind a pay wall, the service is still technically available to free members. So long as you're popular and have friends that pay for PlayStation Plus, you should be able cross-game chat and keep your free ride, too.

Cross-game party chat coming to PS3 (with strings attached) | Joystiq

Well I have to ask how solid the source is because I've seen and heard nothing directly from Sony about this....but....I had heard that cross game chat was coming and was going to be remaining free for all to use - though saying this I wouldn't be surprised if Sony changed their minds because they need 1 or 2 big hooks for their premium service as things stand and it did seem a bit odd to me how online play is remaining free and cross game chat was to be free and yet there was nothing really to entice folk into the premium option.

I think they'll really nail it as time goes on though, so pretty much any new feature from release onwards will be a Playstation Plus feature. Ties in to what they said about online as you currently know it remaining free but for Playstation Plus to really work they need to push the boat out with exclusive premium only features from now on.

Last edited:
very solid.

there was a page on some of the psn sites around the world, advertising it. but these were quickly pulled, when word started to spread about it. so this is direct from sony

the feature is expected to be released in firmware v3.4, which will be released next week.

is there a cost for this PlayStation Plus members.

yeah heard it could be about £50 a year but will cover a number of things so im told. You would get extra ps3 warranty with telephone support, access to beta games and discounts on things in the psn store.
im sure there are a few more things you'd get just can't recall them of the top of my head

is there a cost for this PlayStation Plus members.

Well yes obviously that's why it's called the Playstation Plus lol....as for pricing well in America it's apparently going to be less than $5 per month nearer to just over $3 per month so over the course of the year in English currency if we are not getting nobbed on the pricing then that works out at somewhere around less than £30 for the year. I think.....there or thereabouts anyway.

does it matter no coont uses a mic on the playstation anyway, i have one and dont bother with it as theres no others to talk to, that or there using the crappy mobile bluetooth hedset they got free with there phone and you cant hear a damn thing they say, biggest no no is the idiots who have a mic and all they do is play music down the fecking thing that does my tits in, its always that shit rave crap 10,000 beats per minute.

so tbh i dont give a monkeys about any chat features they bring in, it'll be the same shit.

xbox for all its faults does have a good chat system and people use it, xbox i felt i was playing with people but on ps3 i feel im playing alone or at a rave party.

does it matter no coont uses a mic on the playstation anyway, i have one and dont bother with it as theres no others to talk to, that or there using the crappy mobile bluetooth hedset they got free with there phone and you cant hear a damn thing they say, biggest no no is the idiots who have a mic and all they do is play music down the fecking thing that does my tits in, its always that shit rave crap 10,000 beats per minute.

so tbh i dont give a monkeys about any chat features they bring in, it'll be the same shit.

xbox for all its faults does have a good chat system and people use it, xbox i felt i was playing with people but on ps3 i feel im playing alone or at a rave party.

The poor voice quality isnt just down to the headsets, its due to the codects used within ingame chat - Somthing cross game chat will fix hopefull, and if your in a chat with your mate then the nobheads on voice are gone

however my biggest gripe is maximum of 4 people ? are you joking :|

i disagree, ive had no issues with people who use wired or good quality mics, the reason its poor is down to cheap bluetooth headsets and people who dont configure them in the settings.

mine works perfect clear as day so ive been told, if you google you'll see theres lots of threads on the net asking which is the best headset to use because people have used lots of them and they know they suck so want to but one that works fine.

Your correct - Some of the voice is down to the headsets - Im not saying this is not a factor - However the overriding factor is the codecs used within the ingame voice - Their very very poor codects in comparason to ones such as use in teamspeak, ventrilo - the ones used within xbox cross game chat.

Doesn't matter to me because I rarely play online anyway unless it's a Fifa or an Uncharted or something and even then I don't play it every night and when I do the first thing I look for is the mute button because I don't play to be competetive I play to have fun bottom line and hearing scratchy random voices through my tv speakers or headphones alongside the game itself just puts me right off and breaks my concentration and/or immersion. Basically I just can't do with voice chat while playing games. Either it's in person or not at all for me when playing games as you get a much better dynamic and none of this what did u say shite that I always get with mic chat be it 360 or PS3.

agree with you there raven, dont really use mic chat on xbox live either and anyone thats rabbitting on i usually mute

on the occasion i try and have a chat it usually ends up in an arguement with a pre-pubesent american kid

only use the party chat to talk to people i actually know and its usually to swear at my mate stu who always beats me at fifa lol.

the price of playstation plus will be £39.99 a year, or £11.99per 90days. u can get this down to a round £35 if u buy £20 psn cards from zavvi or thehut etc. here is a link explaining exactly what will be included in it

PlayStation Plus; Check Out What It’s All About – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

im pretty undecided just now if im going to get this. i buy quite a few games from the store, and am really interested to know what the discounts will be for members. the free stuff that u will get for being a member will be around £200 per year, so not bad as long as its stuff im interested in, and would have considered buying.

early adopters will get wipeout hd (could be US site) or little big planet free, which i already have. so doesnt help me with that.

as for the chat features, i just cant be arsed with them anyway. i dont play alot of online games. but im hoping i will be able to chat while playing offline games. i suppose this should be possible

oh, and its the 29th this is released, not next week as i originally said

Last edited:
im pretty undecided just now if im going to get this. i buy quite a few games from the store, and am really interested to know what the discounts will be for members. the free stuff that u will get for being a member will be around £200 per year, so not bad as long as its stuff im interested in, and would have considered buying.

Same here, I buy quite a lot from the store too, but I only usually bother with the absolute top grade stuff on there so stuff like Flower, Trine, Street Fighter HD, Stardust HD and PixelJunk are already bought as are PSOne classics MGS, Syphon Filter and both Final Fantasy 7 and 8 plus Oddworld. But the big question is what content is offered 'free' - because this could be handy if it works out for when they eventually put PS2 and Dreamcast stuff on there but in the here and now what games will be free cos if it's shit like Aladdin or Peter Pan that nobody wants then I'm out lol. If it's decent stuff then I'm in.

on the occasion i try and have a chat it usually ends up in an arguement with a pre-pubesent american kid

I can honestly say I've never had the pleasure lol....I've only got the 1 yank on my PSN list but he's alright, had my fair share of ding dongs on here though! ;)

Last edited:
Back