Crimping solid core Cat 6 - any advice

A standard crimping tool would not do that,Why not use standard RJ45 connectors

We also heard that in the past. It is difficult to crimp solid core cat6!

However a good crimper and quality crimps will do it well, cheap crap will cause you pain!

Some say that the "spiky" RJ45 connectors for stranded can work their way out of solid core but I've heard others saying they have has problems with connectors intended for solid (the blades go round the conductor rather than through it).

I too have lots of solid wire and only stranded connectors... :(

Depending on your application maybe use a long stranded cable run with those single port boxes at each and (they use patch panel type termination) and then patch cables.

IDC connector are used in the telecom industry there is also a similar IDC connector with a silicon fill for water proofing
as for crimping if the connector cant be crimped normally usually because of the crimp not being of the right diameter (i.d)
so if you can fold the wire this would double the wire and should grip or you can also twist the wireafter folding

A standard crimping tool would not do that,Why not use standard RJ45 connectors
Would you not need a standard crimping tool for standard RJ45 connectors?

i have always used rj45 plugs
How have you found them? Have you had any connectivity or packet drops?

We also heard that in the past. It is difficult to crimp solid core cat6!

However a good crimper and quality crimps will do it well, cheap crap will cause you pain!
I've got one of these: RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable Crimping Plug Tool Kit LAN Crimper Cutter Cat5e Cat6 6393851656224 | eBay

Is that good enough or do I need to get something better?

Some say that the "spiky" RJ45 connectors for stranded can work their way out of solid core but I've heard others saying they have has problems with connectors intended for solid (the blades go round the conductor rather than through it).

I too have lots of solid wire and only stranded connectors... :(

Depending on your application maybe use a long stranded cable run with those single port boxes at each and (they use patch panel type termination) and then patch cables.
How did you get on crimping your solid core wires? or have I misunderstood your post?

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? I've already laid out long solid core runs, so I assume you are saying use an inline coupler (such as RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable Crimping Plug Tool Kit LAN Crimper Cutter Cat5e Cat6 6393851656224 | eBay) with a patch cable at the end?

IDC connector are used in the telecom industry there is also a similar IDC connector with a silicon fill for water proofing
as for crimping if the connector cant be crimped normally usually because of the crimp not being of the right diameter (i.d)
so if you can fold the wire this would double the wire and should grip or you can also twist the wireafter folding

I didn't get most of your post, but I don't think I can twist the cables as they may no longer fit in the small channels in the RJ45 plugs

ok so if you are looking to use a RJ45 you can twist or fold the single wire seems like you only alternative is to try to increase the dia of the wire by solder by tinning the wire this should increase the wire size slightly helping the terminal to grip better single wire like telecom cable can be thinned by "drawing" the cable, you could get a moulded cable use the it and make contact using a 78A telecom box or similar i think the 80 series or what use to be the 80 series has screw terminals but probable no what your looking for check with Farnell and see what they are offering regarding tools

Would you not need a standard crimping tool for standard RJ45 connectors?

How have you found them? Have you had any connectivity or packet drops?

I've got one of these: RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable Crimping Plug Tool Kit LAN Crimper Cutter Cat5e Cat6 6393851656224 | eBay

Is that good enough or do I need to get something better?

How did you get on crimping your solid core wires? or have I misunderstood your post?

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? I've already laid out long solid core runs, so I assume you are saying use an inline coupler (such as RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable Crimping Plug Tool Kit LAN Crimper Cutter Cat5e Cat6 6393851656224 | eBay) with a patch cable at the end?

I didn't get most of your post, but I don't think I can twist the cables as they may no longer fit in the small channels in the RJ45 plugs

I meant using these at the ends of the solid wire then a patch cable:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg08000/socket-surface-rj45-cat6-single/dp/CS16167

I found this video. Do you agree with the tools and the plugs?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't want to employ him lol, 7 minutes one plug ;)

Back