Creating Web Sites

MOAMB

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK people, have decided to get my arse into gear and learn HTML and creating web pages.

Just doing it for a bit of fun but do want to publish it when im happy with it, it will only be for everyone to keep up to date with whats happening where we live so dont have to be that good but i do like to do things as good as i can.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on servers ect.

I am finding all the info i need from http://w3schools but would like any other tuts if you know of any.

The following info would be good

Servers
Purchasing the web address (holly Park Drive - HPD or summat like this)
other places to find information

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:
all depends on what type of website you want as you can use free cms to get what you need

as for hosting many many many peopel available as well as myself can give u what you need

if you give an out line of what you want im sure can help some more

neorage I saw you offer hosting & website help on another thread. Is this just added to your own paid hosting (subdomain etc), or do you run a server, or are you a reseller? What kind of access do you give? If needed you can obtain ad-free zero cost hosting, or low cost hosting like 5 quid or £10 or £15 a year etc (depending on what you require). I have all these but I just wondered what you offer?

There's loads of places to learn and to recommend for purchases and learning etc but its all going to take several steps, not really easy for 1 reply. But I will also help with pointers and will look in here too.

First steps may be what software you want to use for webdesign? What hosting do you want, free/cheap/someone else's? What domain name, free/cheap/someone else's? :)

@PH

I built and managed a phpbb forum for some one, who has his own resellers account he uses for work.. his way of saying thank you was giving me some webspage of my own..

however i have full access to the WHM as his words were "you will prob get more use out of it than me".. any space i setup /sell i just get a cut.

in terms of what it is.. no subdomains.. its all domained hosting..and lots of free scripts and totally add free

I think the best place to start would be to get a book for beginers off Amazon, something with practical tutorials in it for you to work through.

What is probably best is to just open a free Wordpress account using their free hosting and grab a template from somewhere which you like - it will just save on messing around with code and managing a server. There are loads of books about on Wordpress these days. Keep meaning to get into it myself, supposed to be very powerful CMS and higly customisable these days.

I was going to do my website the hard way recently, but in the end found google sites where you can just use an existing template. Makes the job a doddle.

However if you want to learn HTML there is only one way, but most people will use WYSIWG software.

I'm not sure there is a need to learn html as a beginner anymore. There are options that make website building easier, then you can learn more of the complicated parts once you have gained some experience.
I can recommend some great software such as 'bluevoda' -go to bluevoda.com which is a very simple way to create pro webpages. As suggested there are lots of template type places where you can get free sites too. Imho that is the best way to start -you can look at the html and alter templates which will help you learn more as you grow. I agree Wordpress is a good start because you can learn from looking at the pages you create and you will get problems and learn to solve them. Just reading all about html often makes it hard to start and is slow, so often results in 'giving up'.

If needed i can suggest some great places for hosting too, including totally free. But I dont want to take anything away from neorage :)
I'm no expert as it was the ex-wife's business, but I learned loads and gained experience. Lots of members have interest in web design so it needs more discussion on this forum.

Back