Crazy fan!

edcase

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was streaming a film to the ps3 this morning when the fan kicked in.
I have had a ps3 for years and never heard it do that. It sounded like a plane was taking off.

After about 30 seconds of the fan screaming the ps3 shut itself down. I left it 10 mins and booted it back up - all was back to normal.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had it go crazy like this?

Funny you should say that. It happened to us over the weekend. We were watching The Gates, TV program, and when it went off I noticed the fan making a loud noise. I turned it off before anything happened.

We have the PS3 in a cupboard stood on it's end, and there are 2 grills in the cupboard one with 2 120mm PC fans behind it and somehow these were off so the cupboard was really hot inside.

Now the fans in the cupboard are running again the PS3 has been ok.

I assumed it must have been overheating too. Mine sits horizontally on top of a cupboard, so there is loads of ventilation.
It just seems to be stupid that the fan only kicked in seconds before it reached critical temperature and shut down anyway. Defeats point of the fan :S

Im going to hoover the vents on it later, but I cant see this being the problem as it didnt attempt to cool prior to this.

I'm already on my 3rd playstation so hopefully it wont be a recurring problem.

Im on my 2nd ps3 and both sound like a jet engine!! i even cleaned it all out and sat it on the coffee table with nothing around it and the fan still kicked in :( for this reason im thinking about selling / swapping it for a stand alone blu ray player, which is a shame.

is it an issue with the 40gig's as none of my friends with ps3's have this issue? but im the only one with a 40gig console.

Im on my 2nd ps3 and both sound like a jet engine!! i even cleaned it all out and sat it on the coffee table with nothing around it and the fan still kicked in :( for this reason im thinking about selling / swapping it for a stand alone blu ray player, which is a shame.

is it an issue with the 40gig's as none of my friends with ps3's have this issue? but im the only one with a 40gig console.

Mine is a 40gig. This is my 3rd one and all have been silent, apart from this 30 second episode.

My 1st PS3 lasted me a week (talk about unlucky) then it gave no video output.
The second was a blue ray player fail, but this one has been fine (so far). Its silent again at the minute :D so hopefully it will stay this way.

Back