Coronavirus: Army veteran Tom Moore's £6m for NHS 'out of this world

Personally I think the people crying out for him to be knighted are one slate short of a roof. He deserves to be honoured in some other way for definite but this has been a bit of a novelty, a one-off. To be knighted for a 2.5km walk even at his age is hardly worthy of it despite the huge amount he's raised.
Jimmy Saville will be turning in his grave 😂

haa forgot him yeah, but its means something to tom moore am sure many others.

haa forgot him yeah, but its means something to tom moore am sure many others. its the dough it raised to help others is more important that what he done to raise it made a balls up here cant remember how to sort these comments cant see how to delete this i was trying to edit the comment above

Personally I think the people crying out for him to be knighted are one slate short of a roof. He deserves to be honoured in some other way for definite but this has been a bit of a novelty, a one-off. To be knighted for a 2.5km walk even at his age is hardly worthy of it despite the huge amount he's raised.

something like naming a ward or wing of hospital with his name? is that what you mean

something like naming a ward or wing of hospital with his name? is that what you mean
Yep. An OBE or similar should be for lifetime services to causes or the like. Not for one-offs. The trouble is a few people who probably can't even spell Knighthood have mentioned it on social media so the newspapers call it "thousands demand he's knighted".
I'm pretty sure Tom doesn't care if he received nothing, he didn't do it for reward in the 1st place.

Agree with @chookey. Knighthood is a bit much. Maybe rename his local hospital or ward after him.

then no one i can think of would have deserve to be knighted, how is being good at your job worthy? wouldnt this guy have a had a long spell in the military as well if hes a high rank? but yeah he would be remembered better by naming something.

Captain Tom tops the charts at the age of 99
Captain Tom Moore, the war veteran who walked laps of his garden to raise money for the NHS, has become the oldest person ever to score a number one single in the UK.

At the age of 99, his duet with Michael Ball has knocked Canadian superstar The Weeknd from the top of the charts.

Their cover of You'll Never Walk Alone sold 82,000 copies, with proceeds going to the NHS Charities Together fund
Captain Tom tops the charts at the age of 99

RAF flypast for Captain Tom Moore's 100th birthday
Captain Tom Moore's 100th birthday will be marked by an RAF flypast, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed.

The Cabinet minister wrote on Twitter that the aerial salute was "meant to be a surprise for Tom", but confirmed it would be happening after it emerged that his department rejected an earlier plan for a flypast organised by a Spitfire restoration company
RAF flypast for Captain Tom Moore's 100th birthday

He has now raised more than £31m for NHS charities by walking laps of his garden

Captain Tom Moore awarded knighthood for NHS fundraising
Captain Tom Moore is to be knighted for his fundraising efforts after a special nomination from the prime minister.

The war veteran raised more than £32m for NHS charities by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday in April
Captain Tom awarded knighthood for NHS fundraising

Back