copying

in 99% of the time yes, if your having trouble then the disk may be bad
or has been done with clone cd in that case nero may not be able to do it.

if you have done a disk in nero and all works well you should then be able to do cd to cd with nero or in a copy box

but a bit more info would help

Last edited:
I think you need to leave the settings on raw and no error correction so it makes and exact copy scratchs and all as sometimes they use these bad sectors for copyright protection and actually look for them when the game is loading up.

On nero 6 straight copy disc.If modded ps2 any speed but slower if possible.2x if using swap magic or you may have problems.If a game wont copy with nero then try alcohol 120.If game is above 4.37 gig then rebuilding is required with iso buster and cd dvd gen.:Cheers:

mate i wouldnt even bother using nero to be honest too much hassle! use dvd decryter much easier all you have to do is insert original game in click on mode then iso then read let it read the disc then click on iso then write select the file insert blank dvd in and hey click go ! if you using swap discs for your ps2 use GOOD media and burn at 4x need any help PM me n i'll help ya

ive managed to copy some dvd's as backups cos these feckers get scratched too quick {kids} so i thought id copy my kids ps2 games so he can have 2 of each just incase one fecks up anyhow i thought its exactly the same procedure as the movies just clicked copy dvd using nero but they dont seem to work
knowing me i thought id just check one after copying 20 and the feckers dont work...?

by the way they are not original games im copying {cough, cough}

ive managed to copy some dvd's as backups cos these feckers get scratched too quick {kids} so i thought id copy my kids ps2 games so he can have 2 of each just incase one fecks up anyhow i thought its exactly the same procedure as the movies just clicked copy dvd using nero but they dont seem to work
knowing me i thought id just check one after copying 20 and the feckers dont work...?

is it the same procedure they are all dvd's or is it different for games?

by the way they are not original games im copying {cough, cough}

DessertDog said:
Am i seeing double ???
yeh so am i ...lol i only posted it once ...?

anyhow found this elsewhere not my work still doe'snt solve my prob but may help others

Okay, these are some methods to backup PS2 titles, in order to play a backup you need a method of booting it by modchip of some sort or by official boot discs such as Swap Magic. I have also included a tutorial on multiple boot methods. Follow any one of these instructions to fit your needs and understand that programs change and methods differ as time goes on so a little tooling around as well as some trial and error may be neccessary.

You can tell what format the PS2 title is by looking at the written side of the disc, DVD's are Silver and CD's are Purple. The DVD backup methods here consist of reading the image to the hard drive then burning it to the media for an easier backup, this depends on your PC hardware and its setup. I say that because the proper setup would be to have capable components like enough Ram and a decent CD/DVD Burner; but mainly have the Reader and Writer on separate IDE cables; this allows no cross information when doing Disc to Disc/On the fly copying. But, since most people would not know how to check or fix this, I suggest reading the image to your Hard Drive and then burning from there.

*A little useful trick*, if the DVD backup "image" is small enough in size you can fit it onto a CD-R (80 minute or larger if need be) instead of using a more expensive DVD-R. Some titles have DVD checks so it will not work all the time, but it doesn’t hurt to try it on a CD-R and there are patches on the web to fix the ones that might not work. In addition a DVD Movie backup will play on a PS2/Xbox WITHOUT a modchip, this is also the best way to find out if your system likes that particular media. Plus remember this is just a guideline in which to help you get started, so fiddle with settings and options so as you can learn. As I get more info, I will try to keep this tutorial updated. Oner

PS1/PS2 CD backup tutorials

Using CloneCD (v4.x.xx) for PS1/PS2

1. Start CloneCD
2. Select "Copy CD"
3. Select your Reader, press Next
4. Select "Game CD", press Next
5. Select/Deselect your options here (on the fly, cue or delete) then press Next
6. Select your Writer, press Next
7. Select your burn speed and "Game CD"
8. Press "OK" to begin

Using Alcohol 120% for PS1/PS2
1. Start Alcohol 120%
2. Select “Copy Wizard”
3. Select your Reader & Read Speed
4. Select or Deselect “Copy current disc on the fly”
5. For Data type select which console PS1 or PS2, press Next
6. Select your Image location and Name for it, press Next
7. Select you Writer, Write Speed and anything else you feel you might need
8. Make sure the Data type selected is the same you chose above
9. Press Start to begin

PS2 DVD backup tutorials

Using Prassi (RecordNow Max is very similar, so this should be sufficient)

1. Start Prassi Primo
2. Select "go to full application"
3. Right Click the drive that has your original in it
4. Select "build global image" and choose a path for the image (preferably on an NTFS operating system)
5. After the image is extracted go to next step
6. Choose the 3rd disc icon from the left *or* click file, new job, Global/Other Image
7. Then just burn the .gi (global image) of the game

This next way has one less step which saves some time because once you press record it does everything by itself (if you have a DVD reader and DVD Writer)

1. Start Primo
2. Use the "PrimoDVD Starter" (it's easier, and less confusing)
3. Choose "disc copy"
4. Select your Reader and Also your Writer
5. Select "make a temp image on HD..."
6. Select your burn speed and then record to begin

Using Nero

1. Start Nero, Use the Wizard (for easy use)
2. Select "DVD" then select Next
3. Select "Copy a DVD" then select Next
4. Select your source drive
5. Select or Deselect "copy on the fly" then click next
6. Select your write speed
7. Select either "Test", "Test and Burn" or "Burn"
8. Press "Burn" to begin

This next way is without the Wizard

1. Start Nero, and select "File" then "New..."
2. On upper left side of the window from the drop down menu select "DVD"
3. Select "DVD Copy" Icon
4. Select "Copy options" tab
5. Select or Deselect "copy on the fly"
6. Select source drive and read speed
7. If needed Select "Image" tab to choose image directory and select/deselect "delete image..."
8. Select "Burn" tab and choose your settings
9. Press "Copy" to begin

Using Alcohol 120%

1. Start Alcohol 120%
2. Select “Copy Wizard”
3. Select your Reader
4. For “Separate Image file every:” choose “Never Separate”
5. Select or Deselect “Copy current disc on the fly”, press Next
6. Select your Image location and Name for it, press Next
7. Select your Writer, Write Speed and anything else you feel you might need
8. Select or Deselect “Delete image file after recording”
9. Press Start to begin

Using DVD Decrypter

1. Start DVD Decrypter
2. Select Mode, go down to ISO Read
3. Select your Reader & Destination
4. “Decrypt” the ISO Image to the Hard Drive
5. Wait for the ISO Image to be made
6. Select Mode, go down to ISO Write
7. Select the ISO Image file you made, click “Open”
8. Select your Burner, Write speed & Burn the ISO

Using Toast Titanium 5.01 or 5.02 for Mac

1. Start Toast
2. Select Image Copy
3. Insert DVD title
4. Save as Image
5. Record Image (Use Burnproof if needed)

OR

1. Start Toast
2. Select Image Copy
3. Insert DVD title
4. Click on Record
5. It will ask for a blank DVD-R when it’s ready (Use Burnproof if needed)

Modded PS2 with or without Action Replay/GameShark CD & DVD backup booting methods

PS2 with NeoKey/Sbox modchip & AR/GS, PS1 CD backup booting

1. Turn on PS2 and NeoKey/Sbox
2. Press Eject
3. Insert PS1 CD backup
4. Press reset
5. PS2 tray will close
6. PS1 CD backup will now boot

PS2 with NeoKey/Sbox modchip & AR/GS, PS2 CD backup booting

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR/GS disc
4. At the AR/GS menu, select Start Game, With/Without codes
5. Eject and swap to your PS2 CD backup and press X.
6. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - Neokey/Sbox will not play DVD-R!

* Note - Old versions of AR2/GS2 you might need to press R1+O instead of X to boot games

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

PS2 with Neo 2.2 modchip, PS1 CD backup booting

1. Turn on PS2
2. Press Eject
3. Insert PS1 CD backup
4. Press reset
5. PS2 tray will close
6. PS1 CD backup will now boot

PS2 with Neo 2.2 modchip & AR/GS, PS2 CD backup booting

2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR/GS disc
4. At the AR/GS menu, select Start Game, With/Without codes
5. Eject and swap to your PS2 CD backup and press X.
6. Screen will change and game will now boot

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

PS2 with Neo 2.2 modchip & AR/GS, PS2 DVD backup booting

2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR/GS disc, close tray
4. Power off your PS2, wait a few seconds
5. Press and Hold Reset button to load AR/GS
6. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT while still holding Reset
7. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
8. Select "AR/GS Codes"
9. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
10. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
11. Press "Start" on controller
12. Select "Without codes", press X
13. Then Press X again, and immediately release the Reset button, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
14. The PS2 tray will eject allowing you to swap Original-TOC-DVD* for DVD backup and then close on its own
15. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note – For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 8 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 11

PS2 without modchip, using GS/AR/Swap Magic with a Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 CD backup booting

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot (if needed by your disc)
2. Power on your PS2
3. Insert AR/GS/SM* disc, press Reset
4. At the AR/GS menu, select Start Game, With or Without codes
5. Use Flip Top or Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
6. Swap/Insert your PS2 CD backup
7. Close Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
8. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the CD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen proceed from step 5.

continued....

PS2 without modchip, using GS/AR/Swap Magic with a Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 CD backup booting

2. Power on your PS2
4. At the AR/GS menu, select Start Game, With or Without codes
5. Use Flip Top or Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
6. Swap/Insert your PS2 CD backup
7. Close Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
8. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the CD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen proceed from step 5.

PS2 without modchip, Using GS/AR/Swap Magic with Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 DVD backup booting

2. Power on your PS2
4. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT
5. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
6. Select "AR/GS Codes"
7. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
8. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
9. Press "Start" on controller
10. Select "Without codes", press X
11. Press X again, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
12. You will hear Original DVD stop spinning
13. You will have about 10 seconds to do the following 2 steps
14. Immediately after disc stops spinning open Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
15. Close Flip top or Use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
16. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the DVD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen use Swipe/Slide Card for swap and follow on screen directions.

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note - For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 6 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 9.

Back