Copying large files from pc to laptop

True, and I should have just refered to it as gigabit ethernet.

In my defence I specified Cat6 as this is how PC World sell their gigabit ethernet cables and I didn't want windy going in and finding none of the sales reps knowing that gigabit ethernet uses the Cat6 standard. (NB At home I regularly use Cat5e as a gigabit ethernet cables, but what I do and what I'd recommend isn't always the same ;))

However, if we ignore my faux pas and talk thoretical maximums it should still be fastest for the home user... at the moment (the proposed USB3 has a target speed of 4.8Gbit/s)
Gigabit ethernet = 1Gbit/s or 1000Mbit/s
Firewire 800 = 800Mbit/s
USB2 = 480Mbit/s
Firewire/IEEE1394/i-link = 400Mbit/s
Wireless 'n' = 248Mbit/s
Ethernet = 100Mbit/s
Wireless 'g' = 52Mbit/s (128Mbit/s on some equipment)
USB1.1 = 12Mbit/s

But as stated these speeds are the 'certified upto' speeds and will be wholly equipment dependent...

[edit] Actually eSATA is the current theoretical fastest at 2400Mbit/s, but that would require both machines to have an eSATA ports. However, both PCI and either PCMCIA or ExpressCard (depending on the laptop) should be available for both eSATA and gigabit ethernet options [/edit]

Hope you understand was'nt having a pop m8 just needed to add a bit of clirity so thats's why I did the post.

Back