copy drive image issue...made worse by my explanation

P33 RRV

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey there peeps, i need a wee bit help again

i am buying a ssd drive instead of my hard drive in my laptop as i have used windows 7 now so that i dont need anything on the lappy and would prefer as quiet as possible

the main issue is the ssd is 128gbs, the hard drive is 500gbs (80gbs used), i have a program called self image but it will only image the full whack of 500gbs not just the used space

is there anything i can use to transfer an image to the ssd or will i just have to reboot windows 7 again from a disc ???

i suppose the real reason i am scared to is i got given this copy of windows 7 for free from someone who had 10 licences on it and scared i will somehow lose when i go to re-activate

Try resizing the partition to that of the formatted size of the SSD.

Alternatively Acronis Disk Director will be able to clone and resize the partition to the new disk in one go. The latest version is available as a trial from their website. The full version is readily available from the usual places. Though if you have a copy of Hiren's Boot Disc lying about you'll also find it on that.

Last edited:
Ghost does the same as acronis, you can do disk to disk and also you can do partition to partition and specify a smaller partition on the target.
you can also do disk to image and then do image to disk and specify what size you want (as long as there is not more data than disk space)
Ghost is on hirens also (stand alone rather than installable windows version, keep away) and its just a matter of personal preference of which to use as they both do the same job in the same time.

Back