Convert vhs tapes to digital

avid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What’s the best way to convert VHS tapes to digital format so I can put them on a hard drive. I have a video recorder but I haven’t purchased a lead that plugs into my laptop yet or any software.

I am assuming they are home videos? If not the best and quickest way is to just download them.

What’s the best way to convert VHS tapes to digital format so I can put them on a hard drive. I have a video recorder but I haven’t purchased a lead that plugs into my laptop yet or any software.

I would be interested in how to do this TBH. I think the cable is the problem - VHS is analog and pc connections are digital. I think you can get cables that convert but are expensive.

If i was trying it i and did not want to spend a load of money is use a old vhs with component out and use a dvd recorder with hard drivee. I have on in the cupboard. On the dvd recorder select input from the vhs and record to the hard drive. :)

I have a hauppage wintv card kicking about somewhere. You may still be able to find drivers for it. You can have if you pay postage. Then use a vhs video recorder and record it that way.

Or buy something like this but you'll still have to have a video recorder

I have a hauppage wintv card kicking about somewhere. You may still be able to find drivers for it. You can have if you pay postage. Then use a vhs video recorder and record it that way.

Or buy something like this but you'll still have to have a video recorder

Thanks for your offer of the card but I only have a laptop.
Going to buy usb video capture card as you suggested. So I can transfer the footage onto my laptop edit it and then transfer it onto a hard drive. Thanks for all your suggestions lads.

Thanks for your offer of the card but I only have a laptop.
Going to buy usb video capture card as you suggested. So I can transfer the footage onto my laptop edit it and then transfer it onto a hard drive. Thanks for all your suggestions lads.
I use the one from Maplins, its trial and error on quality but make sure your video player has good heads, also quality of cassettes can affect encoding...

I use the one from Maplins, its trial and error on quality but make sure your video player has good heads, also quality of cassettes can affect encoding...

The only problem with that is there is no Maplins.

The stores have but you can order online.

Is that a holding company until stock is gone or something like that?

Shame, as I did used to get stuff from there.

They did the same thing as Aitken Brothers (Anyone?, @spud1966), and went down the DJ and lighting supply route when electronics hobbyists dropped off. It didn't last. I suppose any high street shop like that would be doomed. Tandy... Beatties...

If it defo works I'll get one too mate, can you let us know once you've checked it (if you ain't already)
Cheers HH.

I will probably transfer the videos during the winter months but if you’re in no hurry you can use it after I’m done with it. If it works lol

Back