Consumer rights ?

J0HN0_61

Inactive User
Reaction score
First of all i'm not sure if i'm posting in the right forum. If not i apologise.
Ok heres my story. I bought a tv from John Lewis online at the end of May.The sound went faulty on it a couple of weeks ago so i contacted them and they sent someone out a week later to try and fix it.
I was at work when the repair company came out , so the missus had to deal with it. Anyway they took the tv away because they said they couldn't fix it in the house because it was a plasma tv.
Yesterday was a week since they took it, so the missus phoned The repair company and they told her they were waiting for a part and it would be another week.

I wasn't too happy at all and phoned John Lewis's when i got home from work. I told them i was unhappy to have waited a week and that i would have to wait at least another week.Two weeks without a tv, in the middle of the Olympics and at the start of the footy season wasn't good. The guy i spoke to said he would try and sort a replacement tv out for me and i would be contacted the next day.

I was contacted by different guy today who said they didn't offer the loan of a tv whilst the other one was getting repaired and there was nothing he could do to help me. I told him it was unacceptable as the tv was only a matter of weeks old. He then said he would have to "seek some guidance from a colleague" He kept me on hold for a few minutes When he came back he said under the terms of the guarantee they had the right to keep the tv for upto 28 days for repair. I told him in not so many words they were taking the piss and demanded a replacement tv or a full refund. He said someone would contact me within 12 hours.

A friend of mine reckons that i am not entitled to a refund or replacement and they have the right to repair the tv. I've looked on John Lewis website and the only mention of 28 days is the time you have to return goods for a refund. I've done a google to try and find out if i'm entitled to a refund but can't get any solid information. Does anyone know what my rights are.Are they correct in saying they can take uoto 28 days to do a repair on a brand new tv.

They can have it for 28 days. It's a norm for a lot of things. I sent my phone for a warranty repairs once and they had it for 3 weeks and sent it back exactly the same as what I sent it to them. Deemed it wasn't a warranty repair and that I broke it.

Problem is now, you've agreed to let them repair it. If within the first 30 days, you could have returned it for a full refund but you agreed to let them repair it so you've thrown that right away in this case. They don't legally have to refund you at the moment as far as I understand.

After the first 30 days, the standard is for goods to be sent for repair. No refunds (usually! It's down to the retailer - somewhere like Argos you'd get away with it maybe) unless deemed uneconomical to repair and no suitible replacement.

As for not being given a replacement while yours is being repaired, they don't have to. If they gave you a replacement to be returned when yours was ready, they would be left with second hand goods and thus losing money.

contact head office and ask for complaints dept. stay calm and explain things saying you are not satisfied with both the tv and the way you have been spoken to/treated by staff at the online place.
be very polite and friendly it works wonders for me
ask for their assistance in solving the matter and if they are ok with you ask for their name for future reference and when they resolve the matter for you ,you can write and thank them at head office. this will get them browny points at head office and you will get an ally there
lets us know how you get on
good luck

all your answers are here they way i read it you can choose if you have a repair or you money back as it is not fit for the purpose
oh if you paid by credit card they them you aint satisfied with the good and the reason im sure they will do battle for you as it is their money after all

Last edited:
Back