Considering cancelling my landline....will I regret it?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
We hardly ever use our land line and the only people that seem to phone us on it these days are call centres spamming us (and the odd call from PayPal Debt recovery folk ;) )

So we're seriously considering ditching it and going with our 2 mobiles, both on Virgins 300mins + 300txt for £10 per month, so that's 600minutes and 600txts for £20

Thats more than we ever use.

But I've still got my reservations, what do you guys think?

I don't think that's a good idea. A landline gives a sense of stability, especially to firms you want to deal with.

'Mobile only' looks a bit second rate, if you see what I mean. A bit here today gone tomorrow. Dare I say a bit p*key.

It's the stability bit that I'm stumbling on mate, I've always had a landline I might feel as though I've lost a family member if I let it go, lol

me and the missis have the same mobile deals as you,never bothered us not having a phoneline,all my family are on the virgin network anyway

what pipsqueaker says rings true (no pun intended) but i suspect as time goes on more people will have mobile only.

i know two families who are effectively mobile only, 1 family have a landline but only because it comes with cable 4 free but they never give it out and the other are totaly mobile. it doesnt seem to cause them any problems.

if its a bt line its a bugger cos if u decide u want it back they will more than likely want to charge u £100 or more to reconnect.

It's a Virgin line mate, all my mates and all her mates contact us on the mobiles, I get the odd normal call on the landline but honestly it's less than 1 per day.

I'm fooking sick of having my dinner interupted by some idiot trying to either sell me a new mobile or life insurance!

Yes, I am registered with the TPS but still they call.

lol

well i doubt u will get anything off from virgin for not having the phone but what i suggest is disconnect the phone and put it away in a cupboard for a month, so u dont hear it ring when u are eating (i f***ing hate that too) and if u find after a few days u reconnect then u are stuck with a landline forever lol if u dont then see after 2 3 4 months.

We've got the same 300/300 Virgin deal, but we decided to keep the landline. Mainly because of any 08 numbers we might have to call, 'cos they ain't covered on the Mobile deal...

We also used to get sick of the spam calls, and TPS pretty much ended these calls. But any I do get now I get knobby with them and ask for all their details, so I can forward their details to TPS, who will take further action as they ain't supposed to be calling... I don't know if TPS would follow it up, and I don't really take down their details, I just make out I do, but it seems to put the shits up them, and I now I hardly ever get hassled, probably less than one call every three months...

my BT landline is only used for braodband, i turned the ringer of on the phone about 18 months ago, and the only calls i make from it are 08 calls and send faxes, i honestly cant remember the last time i answered a call on it lol, just turn the ringer off m8, mobile networks do crash and go down, the landline is there in case of emergencies

We've thought about this too. For the sake of "feeling safe" im thinking of having a VOIP set up to act as back up for the mobiles. Read a bit into it a while back....but got distracted, but from what i remember you can set up a pretty neat voip system for next to nothing. Takes care of the "need" for a landline as you can get a local number for free from.....lol i honestly cant remember....oh dear i am showing my age lol

I don't have a phone line. I don't get cold callers anymore. I actually pay less using my pay as u go phone than i would if i paid line rental. I also bought a mobile number that is easy to remember.

I got rid of my landline - this makes sense if you have virgin broadband and don't need a normal phone line for your broadband.

I use skype and pay for a skypein number which appears to be a landline no to anyone who rings it. This costs me about 20 quid a year (considerably cheaper than 10 quid a month plus for the landline). I'm actually paying for a 1.50 a month deal which allows me to dial UK numbers for as long as I like for nothing but the connection fee. It also gives me an answer phone and makes the skypein number cheaper.

There are only certain geographical numbers available on skype - our number appears to be in Leeds even though we're 50 miles away from there. Confuses the heck out of some.

I haven't regreted dropping my landline at all, and saved quite a bit of cash - I would give it some serious thought if I were you!

Just remembered where i saw the "free local number" thing for VOIP its here
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/numbers.php
Apparently they have 100% Uk Geographical landline numbers to choose from for free.....seems pretty good.

Also while having a mooch around i noticed the following
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/pirelli/dualphone_dp-l10
That looks very handy if you want a mobile/voip service - one handset to do it all........lol im going to stop now as im getting that itch fingers feeling that usually ends with me out of pocket lol. Anyway lots to choose from mate. Your with VM so there is no "real" need for you to have the landline - unless it effects your current "deal" need to check that bit out matey.

Last edited:
I've been with Sipgate for a few years now, decent enough service but I'm not really into VoIP to be honest, I can't remember the last time i used my VoIP account :)

I want to get rid of ours too we both have contract mobiles with more mins and texts than we ever need but she says were not gettin rid just something i feel we could save a wee bit of cash on and at same time stop gettin crappy sales calls

To stop those Spam phone calls register HERE you can opt out of all the crap that comes via your phone . You can also register to stop junk mail .:Clap:

Takes a couple of months to kick in but it does work :banana:

As another poster says unplug the phone and see if you miss it .

I'm registered with a few of these agencies, it's true the spam does stop but then it slowly creeps back and now I'm more on less back on square one.

I reckon it's all the spam traps in the Freebies section that's the trouble, lol

I got rid about 2 and a half years ago for similar reasons. For the price we were paying for a landline, we now both have mobiles.

Never missed it.

Back