connecting 5 boxes to a router

squig007

DW Member +
Reaction score
hi i have an bt infinity router with 4 router connections but i need to connect 5 boxes - is there a piece of equipment i can buy to extend the router connections ?

You can also 'cascade' most standard routers - there's often loads on ebay which can sometimes work out cheaper than buying a switch.

Most routers these days are also wireless so you may be able to purchase a simple wireless access point (or again, another standard router can act as an access point).

You can also 'cascade' most standard routers - there's often loads on ebay which can sometimes work out cheaper than buying a switch.

Most routers these days are also wireless so you may be able to purchase a simple wireless access point (or again, another standard router can act as an access point).

Both of above would do, personally for ease I would buy a switch

Last edited:
so do i just connect the 8 port switch to my router by ethernet cable using one of the connection son the router in other words would the at leave me three connections on the router and then 7 left on the switch so ten in total ?

so do i just connect the 8 port switch to my router by ethernet cable using one of the connection son the router in other words would the at leave me three connections on the router and then 7 left on the switch so ten in total ?

Yes m8 its as simple as that,
at least on my switch thats all I did :)

I install wireless broadband for a living along with tv stuff and I use a hell of a lot of tp-link routers and switches, NOT ONE has ever failed in over 2 years of supplying them.. for me its TP-LINK all the way..

i showed, and verified, that netgear hubs cause problems on networks if spiderboxes are connected, even if its not a local connection. In my house i have an 8 way TP link in the loft, and another in the living room, and theyre bombproof

Back