Connect both computer and laptop through wireless network?

Unless you are mapping to the root share (c$, d$, etc) then you will to share out the folder. Its upto OP what level of sharing and security they what to use.

BTW, the default share level permissions in Vista and W2K3 server is read only even for admins.

Thats correct, but even then what workgroup or domain your are in is irrelevant

Im not on Vista, XP Service Pack 2

Have you enabled file and print sharing on the host computer (the one with the data that you are trying to share) and changed the firewall settings ?

Have you enabled file and print sharing on the host computer (the one with the data that you are trying to share) and changed the firewall settings ?
is that always required? I have never had to do that with XP before...

Can I just ask, when you map it, what do you put in the folder section? It has two parts, ones the drive and the folder.

Folder is what you want it to map to as in your remote machine, set the folder to \\xxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx\c$

Last edited:
yup, so you can see it.

So, its down to onemans suggestion - is there any security software on that machine blocking your request?

What I'll do is, have a look on google and play around with it for the time being. I need to nip out and do some things, thanks for all the help you guys have given me.

I'll read it again, follow it and hopefully get somewhere.

Back