conecting wirelessly to the dbox

It is m8
thats the good news
bad news is i dont know how its done lol
But im sure someone is gonna tell us.:)

It is possible. You need a wireless bridge (try this little beauty ASUS WL330G Wireless LAN Pocket Access Point from Expansys - its only the size of a pack of cards).
I have a Belkin router running off my cable modem and you need to give the wireless bridge or access point the same settings as your router ie the ip address and password etc.
On this access point, you need to set the little switch on the back to "ethernet adaptor", then connect it to the ethernet port on the dbox and you are away.
I have found recordings can be choppy but its worth having so you can ftp to the box and so flash very easily.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to set up and configure a wireless network with a dbox?

I have a Linksys 4 port router connected to modem/pc. I have a Linksys ethernet bridge to connect to dbox. I have a laptop with wireless card.

How do I integrate the dbox and ethernet bridge into the wireless network?

Thanks for any help.

hay i am new to all this, i have my dbox up and running for only certain channels, i can stream to my laptop via a wired router but is it possible to connect and stream to my laptop via my wireless setup, i have a Belkin wireless G router part #F5D7230uk4 and a belkin G notebook network card part #F5D7010uk and connect to the internet through an ntl cable modem, can i connect wireless to my dbox and use the internet on the same network, all attempts have failed and i am getting quite frustrated and would be greatful for any help in this matter. I have heard it is possible but all the guides do not seem to work with my setup

My setup is as follows:

An "En Tea Ell" cable modem running into a Belkin Router
the routers IP is 192.168.1.1
My pc is connected by cable to the router
the PCs IP is 192.168.1.2.
My dbox is connected by cable to an ASUS WL330G Wireless LAN Pocket Access Point.
the Dboxs IP is 192.168.1.100.
The access point is configured to have the same IP (192.168.1.1) as my router , same wireless channel (11) and also the same security settings (PSK password).
The subnet mask for them all is 255.255.255.0
You also need to enable wireless bridging on your router (may not be possible depending on the type of router).

On the dbox, use these network settings
IP=192.168.1.100
subnet mask=255.255.255.0
Broadcast=192.168.1.100
DNS server=192.168.1.1
Default gateway=192.168.1.1

To configure the access point, I plugged in a cable from my router to allow me to get access to it.
To test that it was working correctly after giving it the same settings as the router, I swapped the router for the access point and this enabled me to get onto the internet so I knew everthing was ok.

@ivorhooper

That Asus access point looks the business! I've had a wee search for it but can't find any supplier...can I ask where you got yours?

they have them on expansys.co.uk but I got mine form planetmicro.co.uk. came very quickly too

heres one for under 40

[DLMURL]http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1529[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
@whistling

That one's out of stock mate...in fact, most of the websites I found were out of stock. Must be pretty popular. Europc was the only site I could find that had some in stock.

I have a linksys wireless access point/4 port router that my cable modem is connected to. I bought a linksys wireless bridge that the dbox is attached to. The dbox is now attached to the network and it all works fine.

The bridge I have is the linksys WET11 - this was bought from ebuyer for only £17!! It was cheap because it's a wireless-b bridge (max 11mbps speed). This is fine for the dbox as the dbox is only capable of 10Mbps from its ethernet port. It is a doddle to setup, with a very good quick setup guide.

abaddon

EDIT: Just checked ebuyer, unfortunately out of stock. Bought mine only a couple of weeks ago, guess they are popular.

Last edited:
is there any way to connect my dbox directly to my router with wires as they are in the same room
thanks for all your help

Use a standard straight through ethernet cable...NOT the crossover cable that you would use to connect it to you PC.

I tried that and i could not communicate with my box, what do i need 2 do extra, the router has the factory standard settings.

Hi.

I have had my wireless network set up for over a year now.
I use a TRUST Speedshare TURBO Router/Access point and a Trust Speedshare Turbo PCI card on My PC and Belkin 54g cards on the two kids PC's

The router is connected DIRECTLY via cable to my Cable Modem (Obviously) and as my Broadband and Cable Connections come through the same box my router it is very near to my DBox, so I have a normal ethernet cable connected to it off the router.

The router assigns IP adresses Automatically to my PC's but you need to set the Dbox IP up yourself.

Press "Dbox" scroll to "Settings" Click "OK"
And Go to "Network" Option 4 I think. (Box Downstairs)

Now just set your IP address to one that is within range of your Router e.g 192.168.1.150 Assuming your routers range is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199
Net Mask is usually 255.255.225.0
DNS is usually the Routers IP address eg. 192.168.1.1

Click on the Set up Network NOW option and then "Test Network Now"
Depending on your security settings configured via your router you should now at least see that your box IP address has "Ping" beside it others may say "Unreachable" but this may be because your router has blocked it.

To make it easier for you Dbox to have FULL access to your network AND Internet use the "MAC Address security" Option.

This allows any computer that you have placed the MAC address for in the router access to ALL.
As opposed to WPA or WEP passwords which the Dbox will not allow for.

I don't know which router you are using so I don't know your set up procedure but my options are in the "ACCESS" area of my routers setup menu.

I don't know about your router but when I have my system OPEN it lists the MAC addresses of ALL the computers or Dboxes that are connected to your network. Whatever IP address you gave your Dbox it may have it there along side it's MAC address. (Write it DOwn)

To find the MAC addresses on your computers just Click the "Start" button (XP) Click on "Run" and tyoe "cmd" in the box
This brings up a black DOS box. In the box type in "Ipconfig/all" and find the MAC address for all your WIRELESS cards for ALL your network computers and write them all down so you can input them into your "ACCESS" settings.

Save them all and now test your Dbox network settings again.

If you have done it correctly everything should say "REACHABLE" or "PING"

Congratulations you now have your Dbox connected Wirelessly WITHOUT THE NEED FOR A WIRELESS BRIDGE.

As I run a TURBO router and card my Speed is 108 mbps as opposed to 54 for many routers. This means I can STREAM DVD's AVI's and MP3's through to my box without to many problems. :)

Also FTP'ing and Web Interface are also fully funtional.

The only time I need to connect to my PC directly is when the Box locks me out (Happened once) or I get Kein System (Kids pulled out power cable during flashing)

I actually logged on just now guys to ask this very same question but the thread was already at the top! :proud:

Anyway guys, a mate of mine asked me about this last night. Would it be possible to have the main d-box say in a room downstairs, and then a wireless connection which allows you to watch TV on a PC upstairs?

Also, if this is possible, would you have to watch the same channel as what is being watched downstairs?

The reason why I ask this is that it would save a lot of mess in terms of wiring from downstairs to upstairs.

Any advice would be great guys!

Thanks!

:)

Although I have a tv in all upstairs rooms and they are all connected via Amplifier I am STILL able to stream from the box to my PC in my bedroom. (Wirelessly)

I use Wingrab 0.05 and VLC 0.7.2 (You need the OLDER version of VLC found at videolan.com I think but you need to use their mirror FTP to download the older version) The new VLC do not work with the Dbox.

Just run Wingrab and in "Konfiguration" Type in your Dbox IP address and the Video Client.exe box type in your VLC players location eg C:/Program Files/VLC/VLC.exe

Or browse to where it is on your computer and highlight the location in the top address bar and copy it. Then PASTE it into the Video Client.exe box then add /vlc.exe at the end of it. In the "VideoClient Parameter" box should be "http://127.0.0.1:31337/" If not then put it in.

In Beim Starten options tick
Bouquet and channelliste
Aktuellen Kanal Streamen and
Video Client Starten.

That is it.

Now start Wingrab and it will start up VLC automatically you should now have Wingrab showing a box with your Bouquets and Channels in it, Double click your channel to change it.

If it does NOT stream it is maybe because you are using a SPortster image. I never did get them to stream but GAVS NextGen images work a treat.

Now you can watch the Box upstairs on your PC the same channel as your Dbox. ALso if you install Winserver you can record directly to your PC.

Put a shortcut in your Startup menu in windows to VlC and add the following suffix to the end of it --extraintf=http so it should look something like "C:\Program Files\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http and you can now stream your recordings through to your TV. Assuming you have set up "Recording" on the Dbox. USe Server and the IP of your PC for record options.
Oh and set up your movie player also to your PC IP. Port 8080

All you need to do is play file Via VLC.

Back