Computer Whiz Needed For Job Application

faisalpandu

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to answer these questions as part of my job interview. Wondering if the geniuses on digitalworld could help me out. These are the questions:-

In Windows XP, which registry key(s) would you check to stop an application starting each time you logon?

On an NTFS file system, what is the difference between moving a file between folders on the same partition, and between folders on different partitions, and why is it important to understand the difference?

When setting up a private network of 5 PCs behind an Internet Router, what IP address ranges have been reserved for such use. Which would you pick, and why?

If you want to Remote Desktop to your PC which is behind an ADSL router, what would you need to configure on the ADSL router for this to be possible?

You decide to use a Linux Server as a NAT firewall protecting 3 PCs on a 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (PC1 = 192.168.1.10, PC2 = 192.168.1.11, PC3 = 192.168.1.12). All PCs need to send mail by SMTP direct to your ISP's mail server. You need to RDP to PC3 from the Internet. No other access should be allowed from outside, typical access should be allowed from inside. Describe your interpretation of 'typical access' and list what command(s) would you use on the Linux server to configure the firewall?

An XP PC is installed with 2 graphics cards from different manufacturers powering 2 displays. Following an upgrade to Vista, what problems will you encounter relating to the 2 graphics cards and what are your options if you want to keep the 2 displays?

Thanks

Sure we could help you out.

But you'd be better trying to learn it yourself to save you the embarassment of being shown the door when someone asks you to do a simple task.

Not being nasty m8, only pointing out that they will find you out within days...maybe even hours.

again, in full agreement with the above. People could tell you, but if you dont know the answers yourself then how will you fare in this job?

Could you point me in the right directions as to where to look for the information. any tips or ideas on any questions cheers

everybody seems to be missing the obvious and no offense mate but if your applying for a job where your gona need to know that kind of stuff even if you got though the interview and got the the your having to ask mate so iam guessing most of the tasks from day to day your gona have to ask are you maybe punching above your weight here ??? like i say i dont want to sound nasty but i just think maybe this job wont be right for you

What's your background in IT? What qualifications have you got?

These aren't particularly hard questions, but they are questions that would be easier to answer with some experience in IT imo

I can answer all the above questions except the registry but if i wasnt at work and was at my home pc i could answer them by simply going into the registry myself. the linux one ive never used that type of server but a few websites and i'd be able to set it up

if you cant aswer these questions then i'd imagine during the interview they'll also ask you more detailed questions about why yuo answered certains things

there might also be another test too

google is your friend!

how much does the job pay and what qualifictions do you require?

registery key question:
answer is:

click Start >> Run >>type: MSCONFIG and hit enter. a window will appear from here select the last tab Startup. from here uncheck the box for the applications you don't want to run when system starts.

good luck mate

registery key question:
answer is:

click Start >> Run >>type: MSCONFIG and hit enter. a window will appear from here select the last tab Startup. from here uncheck the box for the applications you don't want to run when system starts.

good luck mate

Hope you're not going for the job m8, you've just blew it :)

I've never seen the registry accessed through MSCONFIG

Probably best you don't know where the registry is:proud:

lol @Killer K

I've not got a fooking clue how to answer any of those questions :)

I kinda know the one about the IP Ranges, but I'm not sure why I would chose 1 private range over another.

:Dunce:

Hope you're not going for the job m8, you've just blew it :)

I've never seen the registry accessed through MSCONFIG

Probably best you don't know where the registry is:proud:

Yeah, I think that answer requires a registry key location:

I think the answer is more likely to be:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

or

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

What i do is google the answers, its better to research the information yourself rather than asking people what the answers are so you will actually learn better.

surely the point is though that if you had this job you cant just try and google the answers though?

You'd be surprised how many people I work with in IT that no nothing about how to fix a problem, but are excellent blaggers :)

Hmm, not sure about that. In my company you wouldnt get passed the interview without knowing your stuff...

In Windows XP, which registry key(s) would you check to stop an application starting each time you logon?

MSCONFIG is a type of registereditor, The key's that running application are stored at are :

HKEY Local Machine(or cURRENT Config Both have entries on my own system)/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run however there more in the registery.

On an NTFS file system, what is the difference between moving a file between folders on the same partition, and between folders on different partitions, and why is it important to understand the difference?

There serveral resons that you would need to understand suchs if you are moving a encryped file to a non encryped folder then the "inherate button that is usually check" would mean the file would "grab" the arributes of fold and remove it own encryption, That includes the compression and other thigns, There is other resons that you need to watch out for and know about

When setting up a private network of 5 PCs behind an Internet Router, what IP address ranges have been reserved for such use. Which would you pick, and why?

Class C Addresses are set as private network addresses so it would be a class c address you are assigned (Might have this one wrong)

If you want to Remote Desktop to your PC which is behind an ADSL router, what would you need to configure on the ADSL router for this to be possible?

Nothing as out going connections would be ok - unless it was an imcoming remote desktop connection - Then port 3389 would need to be open

You decide to use a Linux Server as a NAT firewall protecting 3 PCs on a 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (PC1 = 192.168.1.10, PC2 = 192.168.1.11, PC3 = 192.168.1.12). All PCs need to send mail by SMTP direct to your ISP's mail server. You need to RDP to PC3 from the Internet. No other access should be allowed from outside, typical access should be allowed from inside. Describe your interpretation of 'typical access' and list what command(s) would you use on the Linux server to configure the firewall?

No idea - Dont know linux servers,I would guess, port 80 for http and any other applications and ports for windows update, (Cant rember them of the top of my head though)

An XP PC is installed with 2 graphics cards from different manufacturers powering 2 displays. Following an upgrade to Vista, what problems will you encounter relating to the 2 graphics cards and what are your options if you want to keep the 2 displays?

If any of the cards are not supported by windows Vista maby driver upgrages could be needed, If the card's arnt supported with updated drivers then we would need to consider upgrading the hardware insite but this should be checked with the windows compatiably list avilable on the vista cd or miscrosoft website.

Thanks

How did i do then?

I hope well considering im at uni studing it lol!

@ the original posted if you dont know your stuff m8 you'd need to go to collage and uni to lern there no way you would be able to get away with it if you didnt! Use these awasers if you want , I couldnt care less, But you wont be at the job long if you dont know your stuff!

cheers

Joe.

Last edited:
Back