computer resets and freezes

madnlooney

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, been having problems with my pc. it keeps freezing if i leave it idle or if i extract say 2 rar files at once it will just reset. playing games is now no good as its ok when idle nothing happens but when things start happening it resets. ive seen the CPU % going to 100% alot which doesnt seem right. i have a AMD x2 4600+ with 3gb ddr and 6600 PCI-E gfx.

Any one have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Try removing all your RAM and leaving just one stick in to see if it makes any difference. Could have a faulty RAM.

Heat it sounds like your cpu is to hot only because i had the exact same thing and it was the cpu overheating.

Heat it sounds like your cpu is to hot only because i had the exact same thing and it was the cpu overheating.

I was thinking the same thing. Once the CPU gets loaded then it fails.

If you search the net for burn in software there should be some free stuff out there. This will generate an artifical load on the PC (CPU, memory, gfx, etc) and will let you know if this is likely the problem.

a lot of modern motherboards sound an alarm when overheating occurs. This has happened to me a few times. If one doesnt sound, you can check your bios to enable it, this way at least you will know for definite if the CPU is over heating.

i had seen the exact same happenings when i had to rebuild my comp, the main reason was the cpu overheating, so in particular when i tried something that took more cpu usage, e.g. extracting rar files like yourself, it would freeze or occasionally reset to only freeze again. possibly upgarde fan, or chek cpu

ill have a check with the CPU, i have an artic freezer on it and its spinning fine. will take it out give it a clean. also ill try the RAM stick at a time too. I also thought it was the CPU overheating from load. will also redo the termal paste.

Seen a nice Quad core in Aldi for £543... if only i had the money lol

I would still look at using a Live CD and some burn-in software. It will tell you if it is a hardware or software problem.

Back