Computer not power up

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a PC for a relative and its dead. I checked the PSU with a meter using a jumper wire and it works fine bar, when I wiggle the main conntecotr to mobo while powered the fan goes on-off so I decided to change the PSU out a simple enough job. I picked a recon up for £15 and checked before installing the same way and all's well but after installing it's dead. I did take the front header jumpers out from the mobo as they were wrapped around a sata so I'm not 100% how they went back. I did take pictures before hand but a friggin cable got in the way so I cant tell how their meant to go back in.

Ive just been on the net and got the PDF for the mobo. Can someone take a look and tell me if I right or not. Some on the net sat white is not always the negative so I'm a bit confused. Someone might might spot a problem. also, the green white to is the power for the front.20210121_150413.jpg20210121_150728.jpg

Solution
I'm not sure if I have the know how to do much more. Swapping out parts PSU ram bit n bobs and metering the odd thing or two is about my level, anything after that it's out my league. I've found an identical 2nd hand motherboard same revision the lot for £20 so I might opt for that for them now that I know the PSU is fine.

If anyone else has any idea's please post as it will be in the machine for around a week.
Big thanks to all who posted
A £20 replacement is a no brainer silverdale. Parts and time are worth a lot more than that. Get your relative's pc up and running and play with the faulty board at your leisure.
I'm not sure if I have the know how to do much more. Swapping out parts PSU ram bit n bobs and metering the odd thing or two is about my level, anything after that it's out my league. I've found an identical 2nd hand motherboard same revision the lot for £20 so I might opt for that for them now that I know the PSU is fine.

If anyone else has any idea's please post as it will be in the machine for around a week.

If anyone wants to point anything out say meter this check that here's some pictures as ref you can mark

Why? the PC was bought off the peg and has run soundly up till recently with the 4 pin. I replaced the PSU for an identical one and just went like for like

The 12V CPU power cables​

CPUs used to be powered by the 20 pin main power cable. Almost all current motherboards power their CPU with a 12 volt CPU power cable. There are two kinds: the 4 pin 12V cable and the 8 pin 12V cable. The 4 pin cable is often called a P4 cable (although it's a very bad name) and the 8 pin cable is called an EPS12V cable. You must plug a cable into this motherboard connector or the CPU will receive no power. The compatibility rules between 4 and 8 pin connectors have a lot in common with the rules for 20 and 24 pin connectors. The best choice is to plug a 4 pin cable into a 4 pin connector, an 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector, or a 4+4 cable into either kind of connector. You can get adapters which will convert various kinds of power supply cables into both 4 pin and 8 pin 12V cables. You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector. As with plugging a 24 pin cable into a 20 pin motherboard connector, you can plug an 8 pin cable into a 4 pin connector and leave 4 pins hanging over the end but you can also have the same problems with things preventing it from fitting. It will work fine if it fits. If you're buying a new power supply then the safest choice for the long haul is to get one with a 4+4 power cable because it's compatible with both 4 and 8 pin connectors.

this one ? when I bought the new PSU unit I bought like for like and took pics of the board before I jumped in. That was always a 4 pin at the bottom and the new PSU only has a 4. No one had been in so I would take it thats the case a 4 pin and the top 4 slots remain unused
That looks correct in the manual. A 4 pin connector looks like it would go at the bottom in pins 3,4,7,8

1611352819936.png

A £20 replacement is a no brainer silverdale. Parts and time are worth a lot more than that. Get your relative's pc up and running and play with the faulty board at your leisure.

Solution
Purely out of interested and a bit of a learning curve for me is it worth metering across from the 4 pin ATX_12V socket on the board to the socket 24 pin main socket while the boards out the machine ?. base d on My 4 pin socket ATX_12v uses pins
3-GND
4-GND
7-12V+
8-12V-
which and what should I test

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210124-111913_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-111913_Gallery.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 2
Purely out of interested and a bit of a learning curve for me is it worth metering across from the 4 pin ATX_12V socket on the board to the socket 24 pin main socket while the boards out the machine ?. base d on My 4 pin socket ATX_12v uses pins
3-GND
4-GND
7-12V+
8-12V-
which and what should I test
Probably not as the wires are all soldered into the same tracks in the PSU.

Give it a go though, for practise.

From both grounds on the 4socket atx 12V I get continuity to to the main 24 pin atx socket on 4-6-8-10-13-18-19-20-22

Oh ok nice one quite handy to have as a first port of call when checking. I bought a new psu for this PC. I checked all the sockets with a jumper wire then opened closed the dvd tray checking all the 4 pin conntectors all were fine on the new psu

New mobo came, installed and booted which I'm quite chuffed about. The things on windows 10 with a very busy desktop.
Since I booted it up the 2nd back up hard drives been going balistic data reading or writing not sure what

Whats the best way to find out what's going on (running) on the back up hard drive ?

New mobo came, installed and booted which I'm quite chuffed about. The things on windows 10 with a very busy desktop.
Since I booted it up the 2nd back up hard drives been going balistic data reading or writing not sure what

Whats the best way to find out what's going on (running) on the back up hard drive ?
I'd let it crunch away until it's done whatever it was doing.

Task manager might show what's going on, but sometimes it's hidden under other processes etc.

I'm pleased that you got it running again, this is one of the reasons I liked one of my friends opening a computer shop ages ago. Fixing people's computers is a time vampire!

Back