Computer Boots But Xp Won't Start

snoopy89

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys im in a very very yight fiddle. this morning i booted up the computer and left ma ipod on charge. i was running late for college so i just took out the ipod and shut down the computer from the power button. i've jsut come home and now xp won't start at all :(. ive tried using safe mdoe but each time safe mdoe tries to load with allt he command lines running it stops half way. im really worried because half my a2 chemistry and biology coursework is on there and it's due in this week. what culd be the problem and whats worse how do i get xp back on?!

hi try and press delete while comp is booting, check the boot options and make sure its booting from the hard drive if not try pressing f8 while its booting then it shold say boot from last know good configuration try that hope it works,

it sounds like a corupt file type problem rather than a hardware fail. what i would do is

1 get the data u are most in need of off the drive
2 do a recovery using the windows cd

to do 1, quickest is to install your drive in another machine as a slave drive recovered your data.

to do 2 there are many instructions already to do this, use search, ill try and find a thread with info. but basically boot cd ignor first r option to do a recovery but do the second recovery option.

BUT only do 2 when u have done 1

and third but not least, backup your data !!! dont help u at the mom but i hear so many pleas when hdd bite the dust.

could try knoppix to get your data back, wont fix xp not starting but atleast you will have your coursework.

hey there guys thank you very much for all your info. i do have smoe corrupt windows file i persume, it seems that my windows/system32/config/system.... is corrupted as windows states when trying to start up in recovery. i have an external 320gb hard drive, hataab is it possible to put another 0S onto that and then try to recover my coursewoRK?

hey there guys thank you very much for all your info. i do have smoe corrupt windows file i persume, it seems that my windows/system32/config/system.... is corrupted as windows states when trying to start up in recovery. i have an external 320gb hard drive, hataab is it possible to put another 0S onto that and then try to recover my coursewoRK?
try booting up press f11 on boot up should bring the screen up giving options to repair op system good luck

do a repair install when u lose any files m8

repair install , its worth ago m8 , nothin to lose .u want lose any data m8...

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

some info here awell m8 http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/troub-05.html

Last edited:
I would have said that the Knoppix Linux distrobution was the safest method.

It's a liveCD so no installation needs to take place on the HDD, it runs from RAM.

Knoppix can write to NTFS partitions so you can backup to your external drive.

smirnoff rules it worked!! i was ablr to start up windows again and i got my coursework back! i quickly recovered just my coursework and have now done a complete install of windows xp and now eveything is working just fine,. that advice about knoppix is something ive definately noted down for future preference so thanks guys. and id just like to thank everyone again for there support, really appreciated. this is what makes these forums so great! thanks alot guys ^^,

Back