Combi boiler repair problems

Exactly, if he had of made a sensible suggestion and taken into consideration the electric fuse spare was out, and the fact it's the only gas appliance in the property and a gas mains shut was suffice I would have listened.

Why would you instantly fear the worse when the fronts off ?. If I explained to him the situation then why not believe me rather than fear the worse as though I've had it stripped down on the kitchen table, rebuilt it, and just forgot to put the cover on.
Like I said, good old common sense and read a situation goes a long way.

What the gas engineer who fixed it said, he was OTT, he capped off the boiler and the gas mains. The cheeky tw#t i kid you not walked passed me in 5he living room heading for the kitchen to disconnect the oven.
I said what tf you doing m8 ? He explained. I said you'll have a job its electric. I then explained only the boilers gas which he replied , that's saved me a job.
So all in all he condemned a boiler yes condemned it because the front was off while it was disconnected and made no attempt to diagnose it. It took my gas engineer 30, minutes to check it, repair the leaking condenser hose, reconnect gas, jobs done.
I know the crack and would never attempt a repair on a gas appliance and I'm not stupid enough to run it with the cover off.

Ive gone over the small print and If we follow the rules and terms of that policy you would never get a repair.
They even tried to make me carry on paying the monthly payments because an engineer had made a call out. Payments for a so called non working boiler they condemned, you honestly couldn't make it up.
Infact at the beginning they phoned me about the free boiler service. They said I have to pay 8 months premiums up front before theyll service it.
If we followed H&S to the letter we'd all be in a f""kin Zorb 24/7. Sometimes a little bit of common sense goes a long way.
Anyway, lovely and warm in here

Last edited:
I’m afraid we’re gas safe regs come into play common sense doesn’t. Also common sense is subjective. I do get what your saying mate but also get what the engineer did. He is covering his own arse and rightly so IMO but at But at least you got it sorted :)

We're all friends on here so please bear this in mind.

imho, there are unfortunately some companies that do their best to sell you a replacement/upgrade so they don't have to do any repair and honor the agreement.

It's wrong they do this but it's a fact of life and unfortunately something we have to live with and bear in mind whether we like it or not.

I only recently had TalkTalk try to sell an upgrade on broadband to fix a problem with broadband and landline (where even the landline suffered issues). In the end they agreed to send Openreach (BT) who eventually found issue and fixed it.

Going back to thread though, I do believe it's illegal to take cover off any gas appliance unless you're registered gas safe (or CORGI as it was known in old days). In most boilers these days you can isolate electrical supply, water and gas without having to take cover off. This may mean isolating incoming gas main therefore stopping all gas. Far from ideal I know.

However, I do agree the guy could have handled things better instead of just trying to get out of doing a job. He probably would have tried other ways of getting out of it but on that occasion it was made easy by boiler cover being off.

I would just like to point out, the boiler was holding brown water some of which was starting to gather around certain electrical connections which could potentially cause more damage.

The type of boiler I own has a mainbody that retains water like a tray at the front and it holds there till it finds a way out.

The water in question any gas engineer will tell you rust's for fun. I was trying to actually help by removing the water and soaking up and drying the boiler out.
Tampering with a boiler = void

I get that but in my case front off to help / aid?. Surely in my case you turn a cheek.
It was down to an engineers discrection and what I told him to see I'd not been f,,king it around. Had of put it back I'd have been ok, I left if off to dry it out thinking I was helping which again I explained to him.

My thoughts?, he saw the brown remain stains of the water and the front of and thought, I cant be arsed here I'll condemn it and f,,k it off and more than likely get some commission along the way when I condemn it.

If we followed the rule book to the letter nothing would ever get done. People use these to worm their way out because they can.
It didnt need a trained eye to see the only thing I'd done was remove the front after I'd isolated both gas and electric.

Oh and one more thing he said, he said to me, "I bet if I test there'll be emissions in the cubbyhole ?". When I said test it then he didnt reply.
Grade one w#nker, anyway I've made a complaint against him he should be struck off not the f,,kin boiler. I just can't imagine how many old people the fat gets previously done it to.
My gas engineer said, perfectly fine the boiler needed a £20 hose jobs done.

Last edited:
Your complaint won’t do any good. In fact it potentially do you harm if they report you for “tampering “ With gas equipment as it’s an offence

pmsl, God loves a trier, If your fishing for a bite Mr H&S your sadly in the wrong pond,

Remember school ?,

"Ian must try harder"

i would have done the same but i would have replaced cover before the engineer turned up so really no one to blame but yourself on this one really

Doubt it son, keep trying, and tbh your abit childish. Try FB it will suit you well (yawns, get a can)

Back