Combi boiler dead

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had my gas fitter call after my Valiant combi was leaking. Turns out motherboard faulting and heat exchanger knackered and he doesn't know what else till he's fixed them.
Combi's 11 years old so it's time for a new one. He recommends Baxi so I'm going with that, which is a decent model that also has a wireless programmer ? 3 bed property 1 bathroom

Have a look at Viessmann boilers,had mine 14yrs plus and still going strong,only thing I've changed is a the ch/hw diverter and a flow sensor

If your Vaillant lasted 11 years why not go for same again.
Mine has lasted 18 years so far * touch wood*

I got a baxi 800 and a baxi usense controller . Works a treat and it has 10 year warranty

The usense controller needs a 2 core wire feed to the boiler unfortunately. I didn’t have too much trouble doing that felt it was worth it to get full baxi functions and opentherm connection. Makes temp more stable and more energy efficient

i had a baxi 800 fitted, i dont have any complaints get a nice hot shower in the mornings :)

If your Vaillant lasted 11 years why not go for same again.
Mine has lasted 18 years so far * touch wood*
I would but from 2 years in it was been fixed. I don't think from 5 years in I never went more than a year without a part been replaced.
My gas fitter said : "Whoever built yours must have had a sh1t weekend and built it on a Monday hungover".
No seriously, I must have been unlucky. He said the Baxi's are cheaper to maintain so I had a change plus there far cheaper.

A similar Vaillant is about £1300 nowdays and the timers are nearly £200 in total double what I'm paying for the new one

Have a look at Viessmann boilers,had mine 14yrs plus and still going strong,only thing I've changed is a the ch/hw diverter and a flow sensor
Thanks for that but I've already bought. I think I've just been unlucky but I'm not going to run the risk of having problems again with another Vailant.

Boilers in the hall so hopefully it's in later on especially with the temperature dropping over the past few days.

It's just been one thing after another. Car gone in garage, fencing problems now this.
Just glad we're not intending on going away on holiday or we'd be cancelling

Well they say they come in three’s. Hopefully that’s your last one. 🤞🏻

I know sh1t init. Just getting ourselves sorted when this happens. I just hope there's no more major ones for a while.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

one of the best about at the moment 10 year warrenty and there quality

I work for a merchants, first question I ask is how much do you want to spend and how much warranty, let me know on here and I'll give you a guide what you can expect to pay

Just seen your post how much did you pay

Sorry to jump on this post but i am looking for a complete set up new boiler etc , I was looking at a Baxi 830 are they any good ?? also at least a 10 year guarantee /Warranty what prices are we looking at .

Had a vaillant ecotec Pro 831 for 8 years, nothing but problems..just replaced a few months ago for worcester bosch 30i greenstar ..so far so good..got 7 years warranty too...

Had my worcester bosch 30i greenstar for 8yrs now and have had a leaky blow off valve replaced under warranty and this year had to replace the CH top up valve as it was slowly letting water into the CH system and over pressurising it. Other than that it has been sound.

Had a vaillant ecotec Pro 831 for 8 years, nothing but problems..just replaced a few months ago for worcester bosch 30i greenstar ..so far so good..got 7 years warranty too...
Sounds like me,
I spoke to 2 gas engineers before I bought mine and both said Baxi are sound. Their cheap, cheap parts, quite reliable easy to fix and they do as they say on the tin hot water.
I got a Main Eco Compact 5 years warranty with a timer and new flu for £700.
Long time 5 years
Worth a watch
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've had my Main Eco Compact in for a week or so now and it's working fine it does what they says on the tin but I've probably made the wrong choice do to my pipe set up.

When I moved in our home I had the new Vaillant combi installed moved upstairs to a cubbyhole from the kitchen were the old boiler was located.

Hot water to the kitchen and bathroom would take roughly 15+ seconds from the Vaillant combi but this Main Eco Compact can take anything up to 2 minutes to receive hot water in the kitchen. The bathroom isn't much better and that's feet away from the new combi.
It never gets as hot as the Vaillant.

You can run off a full washing up bowl of water downstairs before it gets warm and then it's only warm.

I've looked at everything starting with the flow pressure at both the boiler and tap but altering both didn't work.

I do understand that the water coming in is cold but we never had such a long wait with the Vaillant even when there was snow on the window sill.

It was then I realised, the Main Eco Compact doesn't have a pre heat option we're the water is kept warm so no long wait.

With this you can run it, get hot water, turn the tap off then back on a minute later and your back to square one waiting for hot water.

If there's any heating engineers here is there anything I can do with this boiler bar replace it ?

I would imagine you could alter the burner timer so that when you turn the DHW off the the burners stay on for a bit longer.
This would be altered in the engineers settings.
But it will not work as well as a pre heated option.

Thanks, tbh it's a total oversight on my behalf. I didn't realise it would be such a big problem that was until the new combi was fitted you live and learn.
Looks like it's coming out I've a m8 with a rental who's after one.

I know this is months old but through the summer its been bearable. I haven't got the money to swap it out right now so I got looking at it the other day and one thing I noticed was, the dial on the boiler hot water only goes to a max of 60degrees ? is that right ?. With my old Vaillant it would manually go to I think 75 (not like you'd ever use 75) I'd have the old Vaillant water set to about 62-64ish and in the winter months 60-62 in summer a tab but never no more than 64 even when it's freezing purely because of the distance it travels throughout the house It can cool coming from front to back upstairs to downstairs of the property .

Is that the max for the boiler or can I up it slightly it for when the incoming gets cold. I contacted Baxi as the manual says max 80 but I might as well spoke to the Taliban on women's rights, no one had a clue. They said email the helpline which I did 3 times with no response.

From wha
I know this is months old but through the summer its been bearable. I haven't got the money to swap it out right now so I got looking at it the other day and one thing I noticed was, the dial on the boiler hot water only goes to a max of 60degrees ? is that right ?. With my old Vaillant it would manually go to I think 75 (not like you'd ever use 75) I'd have the old Vaillant water set to about 62-64ish and in the winter months 60-62 in summer a tab but never no more than 64 even when it's freezing purely because of the distance it travels throughout the house It can cool coming from front to back upstairs to downstairs of the property .

Is that the max for the boiler or can I up it slightly it for when the incoming gets cold. I contacted Baxi as the manual says max 80 but I might as well spoke to the Taliban on women's rights, no one had a clue. They said email the helpline which I did 3 times with no response.
From what I have read DHW 60 deg max and CH 80 max. No pre-heat on that boiler either.

Back