Combi boiler dead

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had my gas fitter call after my Valiant combi was leaking. Turns out motherboard faulting and heat exchanger knackered and he doesn't know what else till he's fixed them.
Combi's 11 years old so it's time for a new one. He recommends Baxi so I'm going with that, which is a decent model that also has a wireless programmer ? 3 bed property 1 bathroom

Oily

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at Viessmann boilers,had mine 14yrs plus and still going strong,only thing I've changed is a the ch/hw diverter and a flow sensor

langland

Elite Member
Reaction score
If your Vaillant lasted 11 years why not go for same again.
Mine has lasted 18 years so far * touch wood*

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a baxi 800 and a baxi usense controller . Works a treat and it has 10 year warranty

The usense controller needs a 2 core wire feed to the boiler unfortunately. I didn’t have too much trouble doing that felt it was worth it to get full baxi functions and opentherm connection. Makes temp more stable and more energy efficient

copex

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i had a baxi 800 fitted, i dont have any complaints get a nice hot shower in the mornings :)

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
If your Vaillant lasted 11 years why not go for same again.
Mine has lasted 18 years so far * touch wood*
I would but from 2 years in it was been fixed. I don't think from 5 years in I never went more than a year without a part been replaced.
My gas fitter said : "Whoever built yours must have had a sh1t weekend and built it on a Monday hungover".
No seriously, I must have been unlucky. He said the Baxi's are cheaper to maintain so I had a change plus there far cheaper.

A similar Vaillant is about £1300 nowdays and the timers are nearly £200 in total double what I'm paying for the new one

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at Viessmann boilers,had mine 14yrs plus and still going strong,only thing I've changed is a the ch/hw diverter and a flow sensor
Thanks for that but I've already bought. I think I've just been unlucky but I'm not going to run the risk of having problems again with another Vailant.

Boilers in the hall so hopefully it's in later on especially with the temperature dropping over the past few days.

It's just been one thing after another. Car gone in garage, fencing problems now this.
Just glad we're not intending on going away on holiday or we'd be cancelling

avid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well they say they come in three’s. Hopefully that’s your last one. 🤞🏻

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know sh1t init. Just getting ourselves sorted when this happens. I just hope there's no more major ones for a while.

JimmyP

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for a merchants, first question I ask is how much do you want to spend and how much warranty, let me know on here and I'll give you a guide what you can expect to pay

Just seen your post how much did you pay

Gindo

Reaction score
Sorry to jump on this post but i am looking for a complete set up new boiler etc , I was looking at a Baxi 830 are they any good ?? also at least a 10 year guarantee /Warranty what prices are we looking at .

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a vaillant ecotec Pro 831 for 8 years, nothing but problems..just replaced a few months ago for worcester bosch 30i greenstar ..so far so good..got 7 years warranty too...

avid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my worcester bosch 30i greenstar for 8yrs now and have had a leaky blow off valve replaced under warranty and this year had to replace the CH top up valve as it was slowly letting water into the CH system and over pressurising it. Other than that it has been sound.

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a vaillant ecotec Pro 831 for 8 years, nothing but problems..just replaced a few months ago for worcester bosch 30i greenstar ..so far so good..got 7 years warranty too...
Sounds like me,
I spoke to 2 gas engineers before I bought mine and both said Baxi are sound. Their cheap, cheap parts, quite reliable easy to fix and they do as they say on the tin hot water.
I got a Main Eco Compact 5 years warranty with a timer and new flu for £700.
Long time 5 years
Worth a watch

TEST