Cloud Storage Suggestions

chris02

Reaction score
Been using a mixture of providers for cloud storage, Box, Dropbox, Amazon Drive, Mega etc. for many years. All work well in their own way.

Have been looking at pcloud and their Lifetime 500gb for around £100 which seems a good deal. Also allows me to sync specific folders as opposed to having to move everything into their file structure.

Anyone used them, what are your experiences or does anyone have any better suggestions?

At first try 20GB free account - check if transfer from their location to You are without any problems and fast enough (ofc for you)... and don't stick to one provider as they also can have hack/ go bankrupt/etc. and then you could lost access to the files :/

price seems good, provider in Switzerland... I coud not found where they physically have the servers but I assume it's same country... so it should be quite safe.

At first try 20GB free account - check if transfer from their location to You are without any problems and fast enough (ofc for you)... and don't stick to one provider as they also can have hack/ go bankrupt/etc. and then you could lost access to the files :/

price seems good, provider in Switzerland... I coud not found where they physically have the servers but I assume it's same country... so it should be quite safe.

Many thanks, trialling at the moment, one thing I do like is being able to sync any folder and it actaully works unlike mega.

For OneDrive I use small hack to map folders from different parts of my catalog to OneDrive folder:
in console (cmd) just write: mklink /j d:\folder_to_map d:\OneDrive\mapped_folder

For OneDrive I use small hack to map folders from different parts of my catalog to OneDrive folder:
in console (cmd) just write: mklink /j d:\folder_to_map d:\OneDrive\mapped_folder

That's really handy, I have seen programmes you can download to do that but never trusted them for some reason. I'll give it a go, many thanks.

if you have a NAS at home you could possibly set that up as cloud storage?

an update. I purchased from amazon the WD mycloud ext2 ultra. One of the features is that you can create a cloud. It has a mobile app and once the phone and server are paired it then works like any other cloud.

an update. I purchased from amazon the WD mycloud ext2 ultra. One of the features is that you can create a cloud. It has a mobile app and once the phone and server are paired it then works like any other cloud.

What size did you go for and please let us know how you get on.

What size did you go for and please let us know how you get on.

I went for the diskless version and added my own drives. Still testing the app, not tried it away from home yet and i feel that will be the real test!

I went for the diskless version and added my own drives. Still testing the app, not tried it away from home yet and i feel that will be the real test!

EDIT: set it up using wifi then to see if i could still access the files without wifi, simulating being away from home, I can confirm that using mobile data seems to work pretty well too!

I managed to get it for £116 when it was on offer

WD 0 TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra diskless

Back