cloning a hard drive

totalguy

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a dilema at the moment i have a 80gb ide hard drive that i used to use as a main drive and a 120gb sata now my new board i want to use 120gb sata as main drive but it has my stuff backed up on it and ive got a 250gb sata to transfer it to but obviously ill need to stick an os onto the 80gb then transfer from the 120 to the 250 and then wipe the 120.

i havent cloned a hard drive for a long time last time i did it was on 98/me fat32 it was easy with norton ghost back then but it was crap after that specially with ntfs so im wondering whats the best software to get so i can clone whats on the 80 to the 120 which wil lbe the OS and any programs i put on it, or am i better just installing yet again on the 120?

why not just install xp on the new drive and use the chain that you use for your cd drive(s) for the pata drive?

If you don't want to use ghost or spend any money on other software, a good way to clone a drive is to use the drive utility software provided by one of your drive manufacturers.

The software provided is often quite simple to use and quite effective. Just download the appropriate utilty from WD, Seagate, Maxtor, or whoever. The software from a particular manufacturer tends to work with other drive brands provided at least one of their own drives are found in your system.

theyre all maxtor drives, the only problems ive experienced since ghost used to be good is when cloning i get a choice of operating system when boothing up the pc but the 2 choices are for the same OS and both work instead of just loading the 1 OS automatically which is annoying i havent figured out how to get rid of that part, and thats the only real proble either does that or does nothing.

Back