clone or not to clone

ecclestron

Inactive User
Reaction score
newbie on the scene,looking to buy a dm800hd,still on a learning curve,please advise.

Newer DM800HD clones are generally good boxes...do some reading around different forums etc..as well as this one.
There are however well known issues with tuners in the clones meaning you can end up with breakup and "tune failed" on a lot of the HD channels. Some people have managed to fix this with a 20db in line amplifier.
I bought a clone about a month ago, Motherboard Rev J, Tuner L3, SIM 2.01. Stuck latest version of DreamElite on it...and I was impressed...very nice image indeed..best i've seen from the boxes i've had a play with...(mostly Enigma 1 based).

BUT I did have issues with breakup and "tune failed" on some SD and HD channels. A 20Db booster fixed almost all mt HD channels but messed up some SD channels. Currently my tuner has been shipped back to supplier for a replacement...

On the whole they are good solid devices, you wont find a better specced device with the same range of good software images and support for the same money as a clone...Just be aware..that there are issues with the tuners..

Newer DM800HD clones are generally good boxes...do some reading around different forums etc..as well as this one.
There are however well known issues with tuners in the clones meaning you can end up with breakup and "tune failed" on a lot of the HD channels. Some people have managed to fix this with a 20db in line amplifier.
I bought a clone about a month ago, Motherboard Rev J, Tuner L3, SIM 2.01. Stuck latest version of DreamElite on it...and I was impressed...very nice image indeed..best i've seen from the boxes i've had a play with...(mostly Enigma 1 based).

BUT I did have issues with breakup and "tune failed" on some SD and HD channels. A 20Db booster fixed almost all mt HD channels but messed up some SD channels. Currently my tuner has been shipped back to supplier for a replacement...

On the whole they are good solid devices, you wont find a better specced device with the same range of good software images and support for the same money as a clone...Just be aware..that there are issues with the tuners..

Do suppliers change these tuners for free or is it an extra?

That is the only thing that has put me off. I would prefer to get one of these rather than getting a spiderbox, but if it is going to be alot of hassle and extra expense i may give it a miss.

Do suppliers change these tuners for free or is it an extra?

That is the only thing that has put me off. I would prefer to get one of these rather than getting a spiderbox, but if it is going to be alot of hassle and extra expense i may give it a miss.

They should replace for free as it's a faulty part under warranty..you will have to pay shipping cost to post it back however...

It's a bit pot-luck...you might get good one with no issues or minor glitches on channels you dont really care about...but you might get a really crap one..with major glitch issues on most channels..My'n actually wasnt that bad...but I still sent the tuner back..as you shouldnt have any glitching at all..really..and this was a brand new box, so obviously faulty to begin with...

Dm800 in my opinion is far superior to spiderbox, IF you dont have hardware issues...Spiderbox only real plus is the "GIFT" which I hear doesnt run that well anyway...

not trying to knock you gsm but i wouldn't be too hopeful that you get a fully working L3 tuner, from what i understand they all have slight issues with HD stuff. I must say that my rev.j tuner has been fine for almost a year now and i have been extremely lucky with it. if it does not work try a rev.j or rev.k clone tuner for about £25 and if yuo still have issues then try the capacitator fix as this has solved lots of peoples problems.

Spiderbox only real plus is the "GIFT" which I hear doesnt run that well anyway...

Anyone that buys the Spiderbox because it has access to a free cardshare is a fool anyway.

The Spiderbox is much more than just the free 'gift'. It's the easiest machine I've ever used, it's setup within 2 or 3 minutes, the picture is pristine, SD upscaling is the best I've ever seen, there is no audio lag on HDTV channels, it works as both a server and a client, has a plug n play home network wizard, supports Divx and x264 media playback, has a PVR which uses both an external HD and internal 2.5" HD, it even has a MAME emulator!

The only downside of the box is everytime someone buys one Darkwank gets a few gold in his pocket and since it is an Alshat product, it'll have no supprt in a matter of months as Darktwat starts marketing his 'next big thing'.

Back