Clipboard and ceramic tiled floor bathroom

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The upstairs bathroom was a ceramic tiled floor. Its been like this since we moved in all done by the previous owner.

Over time some of the tiles are cracked and chipped so it was time for them to go. I spent all day removing toilet sink pedestal and scrabbling up all the grout. The chipboard floor is a bit of a patchwork quilt (pipework electrics I think) so, am I better plyboarding over or use a flexible self leveler.
Not decided if to use bathroom laminate flooring or lino. I really don't know why they used ceramic on chipboard but I do know those tiles were like sh*t in a nappy

When i got upstairs bathroom done old floorboards were removed and the usual pipework done and cant remember if it was plywood or chipboard then they fiberglass sealed floor and upwards to seal any leaks or splashes that might happen. On top i had ceramic tiles and walls plastic sheeting. Large shower area i should have gone with non slip tiles but went with shower tray with flexes too much.

I have ceramic tiles on 1/2 plywood in the bathroom and no problems.

I think the guy thought the chipboard would be fine obviously it weren't he should have boarded it out.

He chose the cheaper option and a poor one. 🙄

I have ceramic tiles on 1/2 plywood in the bathroom and no problems.
Please don't do this, plywood is not suitable for going directly underneath tiles, if it gets any sort of moisture in it, even if it is WPB then you will eventually have problems. The proper way to tile a bathroom floor (depending on what the actual floor is) is a few levels:

- Plywood screwed into the entire floor, seal the screw holes with a sealant like gorilla glue or something like that, don't use PVA
- 1/4 Hardiebacker screwed onto the plywood, on a bed of mortar or flexible adhesive
- then lay the tiles on flexible adhesive, on the hardiebacker.

Hardiebacker is awesome because it ensures that your area is flat and it will never degrade no matter how wet it gets. If it's an area that's going to be getting really seriously wet however (like a shower area), then another thing you can do is apply a WPC layer like Ardex over the top of the hardiebacker, before you put on the flexible tile adhesive and tile.

Back