Clean XP install - mouse/keyboard freeze after boot?

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI

OK! SO my old man has a new laptop with has Vista installed on it, he hates it and since it's for business just wants XP back on it.

Its a Pavillion DV2000 (HP) I stick in the XP CD and let it run, tells me no HDD installed. SO i made a XP install CD with nlite to include the drivers for ICH8, Sata etc,

XP has installed correctly but after 10 seconds of being on the desktop the mouse and keyboard lock up, nothing works, ctrl+alt+del etc

I've tried a USB keyboard but again I think it either does not recognise it or the whole system is locking up

Any ideas???

Sounds like a driver/application problem, with something loading after the desktop (explorer) is active. Try disabling unnecessary software in the startup list using msconfig or whatever.
What happens if you boot into safe mode?

Last edited:
Computers are my job, all i can say is that your laptop was built for Vista and not XP. It sounds stupid but i did a customers computer a while back, he bought a comp with Vista and hated it, so i changed it to XP for him. Thinking it would be an easy job was a big mistake.

There was no drivers for certain components on the comp because there was never any made for backward compatibilty.
The motherboard was only made for Vista so no drivers avaliable for Xp, sounds silly but its probably a driver problem.
Have u tried going in in safe mode, check administrative tools - event viewer and see what errors u have and trace your error to the problem.
gio

Gio

I agree with what you say about the annoying buggers not worrying about backwards compatibility for the latest hardware, but this machine is booting sucessfully to the desktop. Quote: "after 10 seconds of being on the desktop the mouse and keyboard lock up".

The drivers have loaded ok, seems that the incompatibility is with something loading after this. I'll be interested to hear what the event viewer shows, and whether booting to safe mode helps...

Last edited:
Back