Clarification of new TA-088 motherboards,,,anyone any news on this please post here

J

Inactive User
Reaction score
There has been news recently about a Pandora-proof PSP with TA-088 motherboard. There has been a lot of speculation and misinformation being spread around.

There is a Pandora-proof model out now and it is of a TA-088 motherboard. However, that is not to imply that all TA-088 boards are Pandora-proof. There are currently (AFAIK) three different TA-088 models:

TA-088v1: These were the first TA-088 models which came with 3.71 firmware. They are similar to TA-085v2 in that it has disabled writing to the battery eeprom so that Pandora batteries cannot be created with these boards. However, like the TA-085v2, Pandora still worked perfectly fine so cfw can still be installed normally like any other PSP.

TA-088v2: These are newer TA-088 boards which came with 3.90 firmware and had a slight hardware change in the TACHYON IC (the cpu chip). At first, Pandora could not run so it was speculated that the exploit that allows Pandora to work was patched. However, after more research it was found that this was not the case but simply there was a hardware change that made it incompatible with the DDC kernel. Custom IPL’s could still be run so cfw still worked on these models, however they will be unable to be installed with the current versions of DDC. A new DDC version will be needed for these models.

TA-088v3: These are the newest TA-088 boards that seem to be completely Pandora-proof (as far as I can tell). It has a new TACHYON IC part number - CXD2988GG with a copyright year of 2008 (previous TA-088 models had a CXD2975GG part number with a 2007 copyright year). This PSP looks like to be the real Pandora-proof model, one that has patched the ‘preipl’ exploit that allows Pandora to run. If this is the case (and the exploit was properly patched) there would be no workaround or ‘fix’ to get Pandora to run.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion surrounding the new TA-088 motherboards and the rumours surrounding this new Pandora-proof PSP.

EDIT:

There’s some confusion with regards to the relationship between the firmware version and the motherboard. There isn’t a one-to-one correlation between the motherboard version and the firmware version. That is, if you have a TA-088v2 board then you have (at least) a 3.90 firmware. However the inverse is not true, that is, it doesn’t necessarily mean that if you have a 3.90 firmware then you have a TA-088v2 board (you may have a TA-088v1 board or maybe a TA-085v2 board).

It’s just the TA-088v2 boards first started appearing with 3.90 firmware. But you may also still have TA-088v1 boards or TA-085v2 boards being produced with 3.90 firmware too. Especially depending on the region. The firmware versions listed above are the earliest firmwares seen with these boards. These boards were released in Asia first so the firmware version may be earlier than on US or Europe models.

Basically, you cannot tell what board you have just based on the firmware version (though you can make an educated guess), however if you have a certain board then you will know at least the earliest firmware it will have.

TA-088 v1, v2, v3...

As you might have seen on silverspring blog, (great thing about that new NAND support, btw), there are 3 different versions of the TA-088 mobo.

You could already use DC5 with v1, and now you can use DC6 with v2, but v3 (latest one, will come with latest units) can't be pandorized, because of the preipl patched that makes unable (as far as today) to run the Pandora core.

So, just to sum up. Try using jas0nuk's latest pspident (when he updates it to latest mobos :p) to check what mobo do you have, and therefore you will be able (or not) to use latest DC. Meanwhile, remember that v2 comes with 3.90ofw, and v3 would probably come with this same ofw or upper.

Therefore, please don't ask for a new DC if v6 doesn't work for you, as this problem might (or might not) have a solution. Be sure that if any solution is found, you'll see a DC7.

Hope that this and silverspring post clarifies all this things, so you know what can be used with latest DC. If you have any new info about what ofw comes with the v3 or anything interesting, don't hesitate to comment :)

I think since pandora has made things to easy for us the new pandora proof boards will be fun.....hopefully it will bring the old days back where you are shitting your pants not knowing if you have bricked it or not using a dodgy downgrader :Clap:

Re: Clarification of new TA-088 motherboards,,,anyone any news on this please post he

mobby.jpg

look at the BOX
If you find letters like: NP,NPA,A,B,C,D,E,F,G you can still hack your PSP...
Every letter over G are the new unhackble psp

Re: Clarification of new TA-088 motherboards,,,anyone any news on this please post he

did a slim TA-088 luckily it wasnt version 3 which are the undoable ones

Still no hope: Despertar del Cementerio v7 and PSP-3000 not compatible

Over the weekend, Spain was lucky enough to finally get their hands on the PSP-3000 (just so you know, the actual model number for Spain's PSP Brite is actually PSP-3004; hence the tag on the lower right corner of the box).

A couple of stores already had the PSP-3000 units available, apparently, and with the new PSP model in the hands of consumers, the race to crack its inner workings has already started.

As posted in Sceners.org, here are some of the things that have already been discovered:

Firmware it comes with: 4.20
Boxcode: 4.20ofw, as it happened with 3.60ofw on slim, no letter.
DC7 works? -> NO
TA-088v3 identifier says what? -> Most probably same CPU.
"DC-7" (that's Desparatar del Cementerio v7 to you, bub!) being incompatible with PSP-3000 isn't all that a surprise. After all, Dark AleX already sent word out explaining why they couldn't hack into the TA-088 v3 motherboards yet.

Meanwhile, today, DAX webmaster Alek reaffirmed that DC v7 isn't compatible as he's replied the following in the Sceners.org posting:

yup, confirmed.
DC7 does NOT work. Probably 3000 has the same CPU as 88v3.
Alek - 13 Oct, 2008 - 15:25:45

Oh and any of you guys noticed the box? It still says "Slim & Lite". I guess Sony won't be adopting a new moniker for the 3000s. Aww, and I was seriously gunning for Slim & Brite!

mobby.jpg

look at the BOX
If you find letters like: NP,NPA,A,B,C,D,E,F,G you can still hack your PSP...
Every letter over G are the new unhackble psp

after trying out a few
any with the letter G cant be done either .
please let us know if u come across any that cant be done

i just tried 2 x 2003 (G) models and nothing, when i put in pandora battery just blank screen but do get green power light :(

Reactions: J

so it looks like up to the letter F is ok
but after that ur fooked.
cheers napster

just done one now,ice silver

box code psp 2003 is
LETTER F

Just managed to mod an Ice Silver PSP 2003 G with original firmware 3.95. So some G's are still ok.

thanks for posting that m8

hi all how con you tell what motherboard you got without the box thanks

I have now had 2 of PSP1003's in the 'G' range and 1 of them has been hackable.

I don't have the exact detials of the one I could not hack any more however the one that is hackable reads as follows

PSP-1003 G1
220-240V
WS259 G

It does have a broken screen so I am on the lookout for a new screen for it now. Shall have a browse in the bargains.

Kooga

so it looks like up to the letter F is ok
but after that ur fooked.
cheers napster

Hi All!

I just hacked a PSP 2003 Slim PB - Letter G. However I couldn't mod a PSP 2003 Slim IS - Letter G.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Last edited:

There has got to be a way around these things... I just can't see Sony pulling the unit apart for some hardware mod to correct a terminated upgrade brick done by someone's kid... I just hope DA or some of the other big guns out there figure it out... it just ain't right to lock down the PSP so much. It's too good a system to lose functions just cause Sony thinks the only use for such functions is to steal games... Grr...

Thanks for all the updates guys. It's been a while since I caught up to the state of things, and didn't realize it had gotten this bad...

Asuka Jr.

Last edited:

i just tried 2 x 2003 (G) models and nothing, when i put in pandora battery just blank screen but do get green power light :(

I also have a bricked psp lsim ta-088 v3

Cannot unbrick using pandora

Back