Clarification needed please

absintheboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope that you can be of help and im not going to annoy anyone by repeating questions all noobs like me ask, but I really could do with some help.

I have been reading alot on the pros and cons of many of the boxes that allow more than FTA channels with certain tweaks, and I feel I have a grasp of the basics, although there are a few things I am still unsure about.

Firstly, I have never had a subscription with either a cable or a satellite company, but the flat I am in has boxes labled for both on the wall. I am unsure if they are still active or if my flat even has a dish, so I was wondering if I plugged in a box from either provider, would that be able to confirm that I would be able to receive FTA service from either?

Next, provided I can receive a service from either, I am considering purchasing either a Kryptview A780 (when available) or a Starview HD Combo.

I was wondering if it was as straight forward as it seems with both? Do I purchase either box, update the firmware and then enjoy the encrypted services or is there more to it? Do I need to purchase a motorised dish etc?

I understand all of this is on the basis that the services are active im my flat and also that both boxes require a permanent connection to the internet.

I was wondering if I am correct with the above, could anyone give me their opinion on either box? I am tempted with the Starview as it is HD and allows PVR, although I have read that the service is not as reliable as the Kryptview.

I am sorry for the massive post, just looking for a little help.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Hi m8 i personaly would go for the Kryptview A780 as the support is far better than anyone elses. as long as u have an active cable line and an internet connection there should be no problems at all

Mickmc

Thanks gor the reply mate. The box on the wall is an old NTL one, do you think that would still be active? The VM postcode search tells me my flat is in a fibre-optic area.

I will grab my girlfriends VM box and give it a go.

Thanks again.

Gary

Thanks gor the reply mate. The box on the wall is an old NTL one, do you think that would still be active? The VM postcode search tells me my flat is in a fibre-optic area.

I will grab my girlfriends VM box and give it a go.

Thanks again.

Gary

hi m8 only way to find out for sure is to plug in ur girlfriends box

mickmc

your guna need the internet on thou m8, with 1 provider if u want to receive more than fta

Back