chkdsk/f,

edogg

Inactive User
Reaction score
I need help every time i turn my computer on it runs chkdsk on backup d: if i try to defragment it i get "defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run please run chkdsk/f," .when i run this it says unrecognised parameter if i leave the /f of it say F parameter not defined

how do i stop chkdsk running on startup I cannot find the commands for chkdsk

edogg

I need help every time i turn my computer on it runs chkdsk on backup d: if i try to defragment it i get "defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run please run chkdsk/f," .when i run this it says unrecognised parameter if i leave the /f of it say F parameter not defined

how do i stop chkdsk running on startup I cannot find the commands for chkdsk

edogg
go to start - run - msconfig - startup

Is chkdsk on this list? If it is, untick it.

that is very odd - it may sound daft but did you enter it correctly?

I just tried this on my machine (vista) and it opened. But this isnt specific to vista, its on xp as well.

that is very odd - it may sound daft but did you enter it correctly?

I just tried this on my machine (vista) and it opened. But this isnt specific to vista, its on xp as well.

this is what i typed "msconfig" i have pasted it from the run command

same result cannot find msconfig however i have just done a search for it and i found msconfig and ran it and chkdsk is not in the startup

I think you have quite a big problem here.

/f is a valid switch for chkdsk - it simply tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. When did this start?

its the d drive right thats giving you this problem?

If so, try chkdsk /x D: - this will unmount the disk and then tried to fix the problem.

Actually, check the registry first here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> CurrentControlSet> Control> Session Manager>

under BootExecute what do you see?

Back