• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

chkdsk/f,

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
I need help every time i turn my computer on it runs chkdsk on backup d: if i try to defragment it i get "defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run please run chkdsk/f," .when i run this it says unrecognised parameter if i leave the /f of it say F parameter not defined

how do i stop chkdsk running on startup I cannot find the commands for chkdsk

edogg

I need help every time i turn my computer on it runs chkdsk on backup d: if i try to defragment it i get "defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run please run chkdsk/f," .when i run this it says unrecognised parameter if i leave the /f of it say F parameter not defined

how do i stop chkdsk running on startup I cannot find the commands for chkdsk

edogg
go to start - run - msconfig - startup

Is chkdsk on this list? If it is, untick it.

that is very odd - it may sound daft but did you enter it correctly?

I just tried this on my machine (vista) and it opened. But this isnt specific to vista, its on xp as well.

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
that is very odd - it may sound daft but did you enter it correctly?

I just tried this on my machine (vista) and it opened. But this isnt specific to vista, its on xp as well.
this is what i typed "msconfig" i have pasted it from the run command

it may be in administrative tools as well if you have access to that, may be called MS System Configuration Utility.

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
same result cannot find msconfig however i have just done a search for it and i found msconfig and ran it and chkdsk is not in the startup

I think you have quite a big problem here.

/f is a valid switch for chkdsk - it simply tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. When did this start?

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
yes twice but i still have the problem when i restart it runs chkdsk again

edogg

edogg

VIP Member
VIP Member
this afternoon i was defragmenting and the laptop got turned off by my granddaughter

its the d drive right thats giving you this problem?

If so, try chkdsk /x D: - this will unmount the disk and then tried to fix the problem.

Actually, check the registry first here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SYSTEM> CurrentControlSet> Control> Session Manager>

under BootExecute what do you see?