Chicken marinade for a curry

ekwat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few people on here good with food so can you help? I'm cooking a curry tomorrow night but I want to marinade the chicken first just to make it a little tastier/softer. What would you marinade the chicken in? I'm probably going to make a medium strength Rogan type curry with some chillies added to the ones who want more kick.

I probably won't marinade it if you are using good quality meat, it should not need it.

You can use meat tenderiser which is papaya based.

Else anything acidic, yogurt based or lemon based would be fine with some garam masala

If it was me i would just get a jar of Pataks Rogan josh curry paste dice your chicken put it in a food bag 2 teaspoons of paste some sunflower oil and a teaspoon/squirt of lemon juice and some garlic puree. Tie the bag up and massage all the paste oil and juice into the meat, leave in the fridge for a couple of hours then just fry off when needed.

I always use good quality meat but wanted to try something different. I'd love a tandoor, and the skill to use, to do the meat in first.

You can get a packet of tandori powder from an Asian supermarket mate, for like 40p. Get a tub of natural plain greek yoghert. There are some basic instructions on the back of the packet, but it goes something like: mix a few tsp's of the tandor powder with the yoghurt, some chopped or minced garlic and ginger and propably some lemon or lime juice... leave to marinade... The yoghurt and lemon juice have properties which penertrate and carry flavour into the meat and tenderise it.

The best resutls I have had for cooking meat to beging very soft is to cook it in a small saucepan with a lid on... add a few tablespoons of pureed onion with the chicken and cook gently with the lid on, set aside and make the curry and add this meat to it about 5 minutes towards the end. That, or cook meat curry very slowly in the oven for an hour 30 or longer...

Just had a scan on the instructions, for about 8 chicken joints its:
2 tbs of tandoori masala powder
1 cup of yogert
1/2 cup of water
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
some grated ginger

-------------
If you haven't got time to nip the Asian market now just freestyle about 2 tbs worth of assorted spices by looking up the basics of what goes into tandoori masala powder, or whatever you have got in the cupboard. In cooking, as long as you know what the wrong things to do are, you can't really go wrong, lol.

How to Make Tandoori Masala Powder | eHow.com

Just had a scan on the instructions, for about 8 chicken joints its:
2 tbs of tandoori masala powder
1 cup of yogert
1/2 cup of water
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
some grated ginger

-------------
If you haven't got time to nip the Asian market now just freestyle about 2 tbs worth of assorted spices by looking up the basics of what goes into tandoori masala powder, or whatever you have got in the cupboard. In cooking, as long as you know what the wrong things to do are, you can't really go wrong, lol.

How to Make Tandoori Masala Powder | eHow.com

Thanks. It smells awesome :)

Turned out nice. Everyone enjoyed their grub and the homegrown chilli's were excellent. My brother brought some homegrown Dorset Naga's with him. I had about an eighth of one and it was incredible. Sweating and burning and for a while my right ear went numb. Won't be trying them again in a hurry :)

Back