Cheapest HD reciever?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Apart from the Freesat recievers, which HDTV boxes are the cheapest?

I'd prefer a Linux based machine if possible, but would consider a closed system aswell.

I promised myself a HD box this summer and if I can't get one I might switch to the new Open Media 500cs dual tuner box.

i believe the open media ones ya have to turn of in order to switch between c and s which would be annoying,also the switch is at the back of reciever

I know mate a bit of a let down that. It would have been so much better if the images were capable of talking to both tuners instead of 1 image per tuner and requiring a hard reset to switch.

But it's still better than having a big ugly Sagem Dbox2 for my cable and a DM500 for my satellite sitting under my TV, them two things are like chalk and cheese. Having said that I'd still have a PS3, Xbox360 and a Wii, none of which match with each other anyway.

lol, looks like Te1ewestTUM is thinking the same thing as i am ;)

haha if it doesnt support cccam then i might as well just get a freesat one :eek:)

if i can get one for about £200 or less then ill just sell my eagle box and then put the rest on my card. wouldnt mind seeing some HD footy come the new season

i dont think there is many linix hd receivers out at the min that will support cccam there is talk a couple will support it soon but for now i think the db800 is the main one best price i seen on them is 311.25 all in also was there not talk of the ipbox 900 being able to support cccam soon dont even know if it's out yet but did see posts on it some were

Last edited:
If you want to use dreambox emulations like cccam then you have to accept really that you need a dreambox. Ipbox developers have had 6 months or more to develope and its not looking good imho. There are other receivers that may have ability to use newcs, or to be client only with newcamd protocol, but its all mish-mash. If you want dreambox software then look at dreambox hardware.

If you just want cheapest junk that clears HD channels then look at the Fortec Star versions or the absolute rubbish Pace ds810 maybe? Golden Interstar 890, Octagon 918, Vantage 7100, Fortec Innovative, are the current mid-range units. If you want versions with simple patches then Clarketech or Technomate.

You have to think about what you want from your receiver and only then you can discover the one that suits, which basically you know will be the dm800 :).

Sigh....... :(

I read your post about the other Linux boxes that have closed firmware due to licensing restrictions, how dissapointing.

I'll maybe hold off until there are clone DM800's on the market ;)

I'm off to buy a Open Media 500cs :)

So is there no HD technomates or other recievers below £300 which offer client only card sharing? through maybe a patch?

Theres other receivers, like the Kathrein ufs910 or the Golden Interstar 890, or you may get an ipbox 9000 for about £300? And i think at some point there was firmware for the tm6000's that could use a pc based server.
None can use cccam though afaik. Cheapest for most features is the Kathrein.

Theres other receivers, like the Kathrein ufs910 or the Golden Interstar 890, or you may get an ipbox 9000 for about £300? And i think at some point there was firmware for the tm6000's that could use a pc based server.
None can use cccam though afaik. Cheapest for most features is the Kathrein.

A mate told me CCcam v.3 (due sometime soon) is meant to work with the IP9000HD.
Wait and see i guess.

The ipbox 900 will cost about 329 not much of a save there though it was going to be a bit more cheaper than the dream as they can be got for 311 if asking the right person , the ip 9000 witch is the one i would go for will be 529 as the 8000 is not here by dream yet so we wount know its price but i would bet its a round the same price , from what has been said cccam will come at some point no one is sure when though

hi,

New here. So please be kind I will try to help you for help back. How r you all? Are there any women out there trying to learn what you guys have as a hobby.
I believe that you will need to have a dreambox....if you go to dreambox multimedia they will have the latest and the cheapest. We have a dm7020 which works great with sky, dm500 and the 7020. We have been experimenting to find out how we can receive hd a cheaper way 2. A cloned box will wipe out everything and you then dont have a box that you can use and wasted a few pounds less. A dm7020 will be a good investment .
You need quite high gbs to obtain hd in a hd sky box. We have bought a skystarhd card which will work with the dm7020.

Back