Cheap extender or WiFi powerline adapter

kallum67

Reaction score
Hi has anyone got any recommendations for a Cheap extender or WiFi powerline adapter as I have tried some tplink WiFi range extenders and a netgear extender but my router is a long way away from my bedroom and I do not get very good signal in my bedroom my Internet service provider is virgin media and I am certainly not paying there price for there extenders or powerline adapter

I cannot run an ethernet cable around my house to my bedroom because it is to expensive and too much of a hassle

Hi has anyone got any recommendations for a Cheap extender or WiFi powerline adapter as I have tried some tplink WiFi range extenders and a netgear extender but my router is a long way away from my bedroom and I do not get very good signal in my bedroom my Internet service provider is virgin media and I am certainly not paying there price for there extenders or powerline adapter
TP-Link RE200 AC750 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RE200-Univ...ld=1&keywords=extender&qid=1619599143&sr=8-10
£18.60
You Save:£26.39

I have tried one of these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-094458_Trebuchet_1.png
    Screenshot_20210428-094458_Trebuchet_1.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 11
I would recommend a power line adapter over a cheap Wi-Fi extender. The Wi-Fi extenders are not a very good product and you'll have more frustrations than not. A power line adapter will at least give you a more reliable connection but maybe not as stable on the throughput.

I am an individual who does network cable runs in people's homes for them. I can definitely tell you if you know somebody who has a box of network cable, it's not that difficult for them to do and the cost of balance out to the price you would pay for a decent wireless extender.

In any case, I would recommend trying to do a mesh network instead of a wireless extender because you'll get better reliability because how the technology is designed but I still like hardwiring those products when I can.

What is your current home router? Because if you're using an Asus product, you can always buy a second one of their routers and you'll be able to turn it into a wireless extender. The connectivity and reliability will be a lot stronger and it has a software built inside of the product where it they will link to each other seamlessly. I would recommend that over buying any wireless extender.

My current router is virgin media super hub 3
So with a lot of these routers / modem combinations that the ISP provides, you can normally put them into what's called bridge mode. That makes them act like a dumb modem which then allows you to connect whatever router you wish directly up to it. So you can buy your own stronger more powerful router. I've done this for various ISP related products. If I can put my own product in instead, I normally do but I know some isps don't like you doing that.
Theoretically that product though should be very reliable but I've seen enough people posting issues with it.
I would just find online the notes for putting in the bridge mode then you go hook up your own router and then you can hook up your own mesh Network to it.

If both rooms are connected on the same electric wire area, I think is better to use PLC adapters, instead of WIFI extenders.
You can also find PLC adapters with WIFI access point, obviously are not the cheaper option, but most reliable.
TP-Link and Tenda have a good relationship between price and quality, and they are also easy to find.

I use four of these Netgear powerline adaptors- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N3YCC7R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have on connected to BT router in living room, with two plugs upstairs with an additional Asus router configured with another wifi point upstairs and then the final powerline adaptor in the detached garage about 25 metres from the house with another asus router attached. I find then do work pretty well most the time, however depends on wiring and how many sockets are being used.

I have finally sorted my wifi issues out i ran an ethernet cable into the loft and put a router in there and put it into acess point mode and it has been working perfect

I have finally sorted my wifi issues out i ran an ethernet cable into the loft and put a router in there and put it into acess point mode and it has been working perfect
Thats a good idea as i have an ethernet in the loft already for my cctv , I will certainly try this.

Thanks.

Back