Changing PSU

SimLive

Inactive User
Reaction score
My current PC setup is constantly loud and annoying although its a fast PC.

Ive seen guides on how to replace the PSU and it just seems to difficult

could someones shed some light on this ?

Replacing a PSU isnt hard atall, its just a matter of unplugging all power connections, unscrewing the PSU taking it out tha replacing with new PSU in the reverse order to removing

One of the easiest jobs hardware wise. The hardest part about it depending on your case is maneuvering the old one out and the new one in (but if you can replace it from the top of the case then fantastic!)

First of all, decide which way it comes out before touching anything. You'll have to take the side panel off for this. If there isn't anything underneath the PSU supporting it then comes out through the side. If it looks like it's supported by a rail on each side then it pulls out through the top and you have to usually remove the top/other side panel. If the PSU is the type that comes out the side, be careful to hold it up when you unscrew it because otherwise it will just fall down.

Once you know how it comes out, disconnect all the PSU connections. They just pull out (motherboard lead has a tab on it tho just so you know!). Unscrew the screws holding in the PSU on the back of the case and out it comes! As easy as that. Just carefully maneuver the wires so not to snag any hardware. New one goes in just as easy as the old one came out. Just try to make sure that no leads or connectors sit where they might get caught in the fan.

A little gotcha, watch out that the new PSU has cable connections to connect to ALL required devices. My new one didn't have a connection for my VGA fan, lol, I didn't notice for a few days and luckily wasn't gaming or using it intensely. It was only cos the second case fan kept kicking in and it's dead loud that I noticed the fan on the card wasn't going round.

So I beared the ends of a couple of twist ties and inserted them in to a spare floppy drive power cable and used insulation tape. Worked a treat.

Do n a few of these and in the whole, they are very simple and if you take your time, simple. If you are getting the PSU from a local store you could take a note of the connections you require, most stores have a few models and one should fit your requirements, if you are shorts a connection you can get adaptors cheaply to add or change connections.

If these monkeys on youtube can do it, so can you.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ch2Tdj1fM[/ame]

Just work slowly and make notes of were the existing power connectors go to, especially which colour goes to the right/left. Get your camera out and take pictures if you need to.

Remember all the connectors are keyed so they can't be put in the wrong unless you use a lot of force but knowing which way the colours were will make it quicker.

After you have fitted the new one remember to tidy up the cables so they don't stop a fan spinning or block the airflow.

Back