change your tomtom blue arrow for a car

Customizing Car Icons

That boring little arrow icon that represents your car on the TomTom 3D map doesn't really have
any spark. Wouldn't it be cool to have your own selection of icons to use?

Now you can, I found a French program that will do this for your on the lower end TomTom units!

1. Using your favorite image editing software, create your own *.bmp car icon using the following criteria:
- 80 x 80 pixels
- 24-bit color
- Bitmap format (*.bmp)
- Background transparency color must be RED (R: 255, G: 0, B:0)

2. Plug in your TomTom to your PC

3. Turn on your TomTom
- It is VERY important that your TomTom device be plugged into the PC and turned ON before installing
the French car icon changing program

4. Using Windows Explorer, find your TomTom device (it will have the little red TomTom icon next to it: )

5. Click the little "+" sign next to the TomTom icon to expand the folders:

6. Create a folder named art
- NOTE: must be all lower case letters

7. Create a subfolder named cars in the art directory you created in step #6
- NOTE: must be all lower case letters and also plural
- Folder structure will look like this:

8. Using the *.bmp image(s) from step #1, copy them all into the subdirectory you created in step #7

9. Using TomTom Home, backup your TomTom because you won't be able to access the little blue cursor
from this program to put it back to the default.
- This French program will modify the settings.dat file
- Once you make your TomTom backup, I encourage you to copy the settings.dat file into a safe place
in case you want to go back to the default icon, you'll need the original file.

10. Download and install the TomTomHeavenXplorer program:

>>> TomTomHeavenXplorer <<< link above

I would highly recommend turning off any Anti-virus software or firewall software you may have running

If you are having issues understanding the words in French when installing, I recommend using Google
French-to-English translation tool online:

>>> Google French/English Translation <<<

The program is written in French, but very simple to use:
a) Create a backup of your default cursor by clicking
- I would recommend doing this SAVE option ONLY the very first time. You are doing this to be
able to set your TomTom back to the default blue arrow cursor . If you make any subsequent
SAVEs, I would suspect it would overwrite your original save an lose the ability to restore to the
default using this program
b) Your icons you placed into the folder in step #8 should show up in the left pane:

c) Highlight and select one of those cursors and select

- NOTE: You can see a preview of the selected icon in the left window when you highlight the cursor name:

11. On your windows lower right icon task menu, click on the safely remove hardware icon:

12. When Windows states it is safe to remove your hardware, disconnect your TomTom from your PC.

13. Now when you turn on your TomTom in the 3D map view, your new icon will be shown!

NOTE: This icon will not show up in the 2D map modes or in TomTom Home when you are controlling your device.

Last edited:
tomtom_cursor.jpg

dont use satnav myself but looks good mate compared to the normal arrow on them,,,,you will probably get someone who will change theirs to a p*enis or something like that just for a laugh :proud:

thanks m8 just dont it for my nephew on a tomtom 1
looks good on his
i allready have it on my tomtom 720 go
far better than the old arrow
lol

dont use satnav myself but looks good mate compared to the normal arrow on them,,,,you will probably get someone who will change theirs to a p*enis or something like that just for a laugh :proud:

you can change it to anything bro as long as its the right size and not to small ...lol

i don't mind anyone adding to my reputation

make your own icon:-

The Image Format is as follows:
Bitmap format (*.bmp)
24-bit color
80 x 80 pixels
Transparency color (shroud) is true RED
(R: 255, G: 0, B:0)

mcfcnew.jpg

this one might send you on a rocky road...lol

saab.jpg

skoda_police-car.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks m8 just downloaded the picasso and up and running on my tomtom 300:Clap:

ohh yeah didn't see hed put tom tom 1 lol i just seen the tomtom. Plus i just looked on that site and it says it does.

now thats cool ive got a cop car lol love it

one word
stunning
i know have my lil renault rippin round my sat nav thx

Cheers m8 now got a Lambo (its the only way i'll get one!!)

:Cheers:

Another easy way is download TomTomHeaven from pocketgps and follow my tut
OK, this works on any tomtom.
First make your car icon i.e. take pic of your car from high rear view position, put that pic now into paint shop pro or any other paint shop program and put a red background around the car as normal.
Save the pic at 80x80 pixels and as a .bmp and now close paint shop program.
Ok now make a folder and call it art in the root of sd card NOT MAP folder.
Copy over the car icon pic you just saved, into the new folder you made called 'art'.
Download this file i have posted and extract the folder anywhere on your pc, i saved mine to C:, the folder is called TomTomHeaven.
Now click on the middle file called 'TomTomHeavenXplorer.application', it will ask you to install network application, say yes to it.
Once done, connect your tomtom to the pc and start the program, a little box will appear.
In the white area on left hand side you will see your file, simply click on SAVE, wait and another small box appears, click ok.
Then click on APPLY and it will confirm that now car icon is usuable.
Reboot tomtom and now your car is on

Back