Change rules to improve Football

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you could implement a rule change to liven up the sport of Football what would it be ?, mine would be

1) ;-

3 Points for the win
1 point for a score draw
0 points for a 0-0 draw

This would stop teams sitting back for 90 minutes and be be grateful of a point at the expense of fans who sit there watching an absolute waste of time game. Teams who actually need points badly will try to win the game rather than teams thinking 1 point better than none. I've sat at games and with 20 minutes gone the other side have started time wasting, slow throw in's , goalie taking an age defending with all 11 in the last third basically coming to the ground to hopefully "nick a point". You feel like ripping your hair out because at the end of the day it's part of the entertainment business and watching teams not partaking in a game is a waste of my money.

2) Time wasting faking injury, so I'm watching a game yesterday and a guy goes down in the six yard box rolling around. Just before the trainer goes on he's subbed and rather than walk off the pitch 3 yard away behind the goal he walks at a snails pace to the halfway line not injured. This takes from the time he went down to leaving the pitch roughly 90 seconds.
We need someone to take control of the timing from within a box. When a player goes down the adjudicator / official stops the clock and only restarts it when the ref blows the whistle to restart the game this way we all know were we the fook we stand. This should also be linked to the ground clock (simple I.T job) and to the TV live game clock so we can all see it in black and white no grey area. I am totally fooked off watching guys go down and rolling around time wasting then hop back up and carry on as nothing happened and the ref adds 30 seconds for a full 2 minutes. In a Burnley V WBA game the ball was in play for a total of 47 minutes , 53 minutes of nothing I wouldn't go simple as I might as well be sat in the pub scratching me harse.

3) No subs once the clock hits 90 minutes, again, p*ssed off teams up to 6 subs in injury time to play out the clock, lets see how many fake injury then if you are injured in injury time tough its 10 men till the end or till extra time period commences. Plus clock stops for subs, if you wanna crawl off then no time is wasted.

4) 4 linesmen, I like the idea of camera's magic eye for goal line and off the ball violence and spitting etc but I feel ref's should be left alone to do their job. This is what makes football what it is, it's the debating after the games was it weren't it. I do think there should be more officials on the pitch and 4 linesmen would be perfect. If a player is onside or offside position then it's down to the ref and 2 linesmen at the end of that end of the pitch.
Should 2 flags go up he's off, if one goes up and one stays down then he's on unless the ref feels strongly enough or seen something different to overrule it. The other thing is when incidents happen say in the opposite corner of the linesman and the refs mile behind an extra pair of eye of the line would help no end. The goal line ref is a waste of time and he's not in use enough so scrap that and 4 linesmen is the way to go.

5) Camera technology and unsure red cards, some games are ruined by poor reffing sending off's. A ref sends someone off at the beginning of the game both fans are robbed of a fair 11 a side game. This forces the other side to take a forward off and a defender on and the whole complex of the game changes. I think there should also take a leaf from Rugby League, a sin bin card for 10 minutes. Too many times players get sent off for stupid things like shirt off and kicking the ball away. For these minor second offences sin bin them for 10 minutes. Yes you get a advantage but not for the whole fooking game for say kicking a ball away or pulling a shirt which in my eyes is pish taking dishing cards out for these offences.

At the end of the day if it weren't for fans paying to enter the ground and their tv subs then these soft wa&nkers who roll around time wasting wouldn't be getting massive wages, they'd be staking shelves playing semi pro at the weekend. I've watched football live for 40 odd years at the ground but lately I'm thinking of calling it a day. I see less and less football on the pitch and more and more pishing around on and off field and the games forgotten about. They say the game has got faster, it might have but there's far far less of it and that for me makes me not wanna watch it.

Last edited:
0 points for a 0-0 draw Great idea,would stop teams playing with 11 defenders,and give the game more free flowing run. I get fed up with teams just sat there for 90 mins not even trying to go forward,youi see this a lot against the bigger teams and its just killing the game @ times.

In my eyes it doesnt mean you lose points to your opponent you just don't gain any. You should be reqwwarded and gain nothing for playing out a nil nil.

Another one would be, get say an extra 3 points if you score "X" amount of goals in a season. The game needs opening up, seriously, if I were a Burnley fan I pack in going. They just about bore the fookin pants of me to the point I cant watch them

I went last night to a game and the goalie got warned to speed it up on goal kicks after only 20 minutes and players for pishing around on throw ins.
The opposition had clearly come with one intention, to get a draw and not concede which only means one scoreline.
I remember listening to my sons under 15's manager some years ago at an away game. It was half time and my sons team were drawing 0-0 against the top of the League. He told our one and only forward, "Drop back in to the midfield and stay there, we'll see this out".
Sometimes I think its inbred in our players and managers from their early playing years going right back, "Lets not lose" rather than "Lets go out and win this" and hit andd hope hoofs to a big daft forward. We still say it now Play Andy Carroll up front for England and lob it in the box...wtf ? Were as in Spain its all about possession and eventually an end product but done at pace and precision.
Ive always said, our weather determines our playing style, muddy flooded pitches and weeks without a game doesn't help our game. We need 100's of more 4G pitches

Last edited:
I totally agree with no more subs after 90 mins but I would make it after 85.
Book any player that picks up the ball after a decision has been given against their team, they just do it to waste time or wind up the opposition.
2 referees one in each half. Make one the senior referee for offences on the half way line.
On corners, once the ball is in the quadrant, a foul in the box is given either way, its usually the defending team that are fouling before the kick is taken, so automatic penalty.
Penalty kicks should be re-taken if the keeper comes of his line (this can be quickly decided by the linesman doing his job properly or in the Prem by technology).
Apart from Kick off no team can have more than 8 players inc goalie in their half.

Good topic this , as the Prem has become all so boring ...

My one and only suggestion for a bit more interest in the games ...

Team managers to play in the starting eleven for at least 30 mins Can only be subbed if injured by assistant manager or club chairman ..

I enjoyed it much more in the days of player managers ....

Cheers, port06

I've always thought that in every sport they should have competitions where its only for steroid abuse. So if people want to take Steroids then fine.....we put you in with the rest of the people who want to do it. They would have there own seperate leagues and competitions just for them. I think it would be entertaining. People sprinting faster than they would normally, jumping higher and further, throwing further and the list goes on....or is that just my warped sense of humour coming out :)

It'll never happen but it would be funny to watch I think.

I've always thought that in every sport they should have competitions where its only for steroid abuse. So if people want to take Steroids then fine.....we put you in with the rest of the people who want to do it. They would have there own seperate leagues and competitions just for them. I think it would be entertaining. People sprinting faster than they would normally, jumping higher and further, throwing further and the list goes on....or is that just my warped sense of humour coming out :)

It'll never happen but it would be funny to watch I think.
The big thing just now is hgh and that's quiet hard to trace. Also people have the wrong idea about steroids. They think you take them you get big. No you take them you ear right train twice as hard you get big strong

Back