change of job?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was browsing through jobs today on job centre plus website im in a crappy job atm for asda which is front of house janito. I saw this job for sales consultants and it sounded interwesting so i rang them.

the guy on the phone said he had just put 2 calls through to recruitment so he would get them to ring me back in 30 mins.

about 2 mins later he rang back and said they have got about 30 call backs to do and if i could get down there for 4pm they would interview me today.

i rushed round got me nut cut got suited up etc and got down there fill in the apllication stuff employment history etc and then went into the interview.

It was just me and another guy and after asking me questions about myself we went on to the diverse questions the type i hate as im no good at them. Questions like "if you could come back as an animal what would it be and why".

Then the dreaded scenario questions ie sell me this product etc. I didnt think id done to bad but i knew i was nervous. He left the room for 5 mins and came in with a director.

The director said that the interview was really pleased how i came across and they offered me a position there and then.

It means me handing notice in at my current job and starting my weeks training with them would you go for it if you were me the wife is all negative saying what if etc.

so some advice would be nice. does anyone here work as a sales consultant? do you enjoy it?

I don't work in sales but know that it is a tough job, though can be very rewarding for the right person.

Is the job commission only or do you get basic + commission. Commission only usually means they got you hard selling some crap and don't have the confidence in the product to pay you a salary as well (ala Kirby Cleaner, which I almost ended up doing a long time ago). I would usually say walk away from Commission only, but if the basic is alright then go for it.

I would echo the rewards, I have known sales people who have done very well and received good benefits.

However, is this a permanent job or is it a contract? Also, do you have any idea of your probabtion? i.e. do you need to fulfill a certain quota before they accept you completely as a full member of staff?

full time position basic plus commision and it is for an energy company.

so you would be knocking on doors trying to sell ?
if so
I always tell them to fook off as they are pushy as feck and I dont like being hassled on my doorstep

if Im wrong then sorry lol can you explain more Mat

If the basic pay is reasonable and enough to live on, and you know what you will actually be doing - and are happy with that - then go for it.

If the basic pay is too low and you would be relying on commission to make a living wage: I would think twice.

Like hamba said m8
but Im pretty sure these company will rely on you making sales/targets and if you dont Im pretty sure they will tell you to try harder
and by trying harder you as a salesmen will have to be pushy

I could be totally wrong m8 but its all about sales and profit

but if there is no hard sell and they are happy that you are not hitting targets and you are happy with basic money then go for it m8 :) if you dont try you will never know ;)

Like hamba said m8
but Im pretty sure these company will rely on you making sales/targets and if you dont Im pretty sure they will tell you to try harder
and by trying harder you as a salesmen will have to be pushy

I could be totally wrong m8 but its all about sales and profit

but if there is no hard sell and they are happy that you are not hitting targets and you are happy with basic money then go for it m8 :) if you dont try you will never know ;)

yeah ofc sales is always about targets profits etc. the aim is 10 dual fuel signs a fortnight so that is only 1 per day so its not pushy. thats what the company want however the more i get the more i earn.

The basic rate of pay is more than enough to survive on as we get tax credits anyway both work and for 4 children.

Is it npower by any chance??

There sales team have a bad reputation and the staff dont last very long..

I would think very hard about doing sales.. its not easy.. especialy as most sales is a seasonal thing..

Ie car sales do more towards the end of the year....

no its not npower they ripped me off big time so i wouldnt work for them. I also only ever see a job as a stepping stone to bigger and better things i dont go in to a job thinking i will be doing this for the rest of my life im only young yet.

Tbh i know how pushy some sales people can be so i expect most people here to have had a pushy6 at some time. But i need new direction in my life and soon.

Hmm! Not to put a damper on it because I hated working in Morissons for the whole 3 weeks I survived there, but it sounds like you're going to be phoning people up or going door to door? It doesn't sound very enjoyable getting all the abuse and having to be pushy to make your commission.

I also think sales is something more enjoyable to do when it's something you have an interest in too.

It's up to you but given me the impression it's going to be a tedious job getting abuse over the phone or having front doors slammed in your face but I don't know the details.

Sales jobs are going to be pretty tough in the next two years, although it obviously depends on what you are selling. Just put yourself in the customers shoes and if you think the product can sell through a tough economic period you at least have a job that you should be considering.

Job security is more important than a slightly higher wage over the next two years IMHO

Sales jobs are going to be pretty tough in the next two years, although it obviously depends on what you are selling. Just put yourself in the customers shoes and if you think the product can sell through a tough economic period you at least have a job that you should be considering.

Job security is more important than a slightly higher wage over the next two years IMHO

I think the current climate would make it easier to sell this particular product as the main point of changing supplier is to save money. At the end of the day, jobs at ASDA are ten a penny and i'm sure you could always get a job back their if you needed it, so why not go for it.

I always live by 'If I want something I will look for it myself' rule, so sales people don't do well at my house.

For me, trying to interrupt someone, and flog them something is my idea of hell.

But then again, you may like the challenege.

I would worry about the basic pay/commission basis.

hi,

new to this site as of yesterday. Sorry to hear that your not happy with your current job, I have been trying to find suitable work for almost a year now and boy it is sooooooooooo hard. I have considered working self employed for sales work but with no guaranteed income it is not really cool. I also thought about standing in the high street in all weathers trying to get people to buy RAC but again its commission only and I believe that if you dont make the sales targets even though you try hard enough where is the job security. I wish you luck with your decision? Life can be tough but I am sure you will make the right choice. Maybe try the job out first ....do youo have a contract with this company?

I always live by 'If I want something I will look for it myself' rule, so sales people don't do well at my house.

For me, trying to interrupt someone, and flog them something is my idea of hell.

But then again, you may like the challenege.

I would worry about the basic pay/commission basis.

Same for me, however this sort of sales can actually be a service to a lot of people that might not have internet access (or are not savvy enough to look at swapping suppliers). Think of the old dear down the road who doesn't have a computer, has never changed supplier and is struggling to meet the escalating fuel costs, they are probably paying well over the odds because they havent changed supplier.

been on first days training today the company is edf energy i know these are the first to put their prices up however they are still cheaper than british gas and npower etc. So what we are offering the customer is a fixed price deal to 2009 or non fixed if they dont want it however as im sure everyone knows estimated energy prices for december are around £1000 + a year.

There was huge emphasis on NOT being pushy rude offensive etc. They said if the customer isnt interested walk away or ask if they would like some info leaving to look over etc.

Lots of emphasis also on elderly disabled hard of hearing infirm etc.

for example if the person is born before 1930 we are not aloud to sign them up without a witness present who knows all the facts ie son or daughter etc.

each consultant visits 100 homes per day they say out of that 100 you will get 50-60 rejections or people not in etc. then you will get 40-50 people talk to you and out of that amount on average 2-3 will sign up.

The company say that 1 per day is an acceptable amount.

im going for it as i now know i can believe in the product its not a scam i dont have to be pushy or con anyone its straight forward door to door sales if that person should want it.

i get a basic pay of £210 per week the average person takes home £300-£400 per week and the top earners get £1000 per week.

i have another days training and a day out on the job watching someone at work then i go out into the field in my second week.

big thanks to all the help and advice from everyone who posted yeah i understand i will carry the stigmata of a door to door salesman but id much rather be doing this than cleaning at asda!

:) good news Mat

I wish you all the best m8 and truly hope it works for you :)

Back