Chambers fails to have ban lifted

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
British sprinter Dwain Chambers will not be able to run at the Olympics after he lost his attempt to overturn his lifetime ban.

The 30-year-old took his case to secure an injunction against the British Olympic Association by-law to the High Court, but the ruling went against him.

Under BOA rules, the sprinter was banned from future Games after testing positive for the steroid THG in 2003.

Chambers had argued that the ban was an unfair restraint of trade.

But Mr Justice Mackay refused to grant an injunction to temporarily suspend the lifetime ban before a full hearing - which is now not expected to go ahead - in March next year.

In his summing up, Mr Mackay said Chambers' right to work was not a good enough reason to overturn the ban, while the last-minute timing had also worked against him.

"Many people both inside and outside sport would see this by-law as unlawful," said Mr Mackay.

"(But) In my judgment it would take a much better case than the claimant has presented to persuade me to overturn the status quo at this stage and compel his selection for the Games."

The BOA will continue to send a powerful message that nobody found guilty of serious drug-cheating offences should have the honour of wearing GB vests at the Olympics

BOA chairman Lord Moynihan
Chambers still has the right of appeal against the decision, but the clock is against him with any hearing having to take place before the end of the court's proceedings on Friday.

British selectors have to name their final squad for next month's Games in Beijing by Sunday at the very latest.

Chambers had already gained the necessary qualifying time for the 100m and comfortably won the British trials in a time of 10.00 seconds on Saturday.

But when the British team was named on Monday, only Simeon Williamson - who finished second behind Chambers in the trials - was named for the individual 100m event, with two places left unfilled until the legal case had been decided.

BOA chairman Lord Moynihan said the decision had vindicated the long-standing by-law.

"It's a matter of regret that Dwain Chambers, an athlete of such undoubted talent, should by his own actions have put himself out of the running to shine on the Olympic stage in Beijing," said Moynihan

"The BOA will continue to send a powerful message that nobody found guilty of serious drug-cheating offences should have the honour of wearing GB vests at the Olympic Games.

"The court's decision allows us now to focus on, and support, those athletes who will be travelling to Beijing to represent Team GB in just 21 days' time. We must now focus on their interests."

Chambers, pursued by scores of journalists, TV cameramen and photographers, left court without saying anything to the media.

Meanwhile, UK Athletics said it fully supported the decision.

"We have always maintained out supported of the by-law and are delighted it has been maintained in this instance," read a UKA statement

More to follow.

Source

Last edited:
Good.

No-one wants cheats representing their country.

Some people will say he done the crime and served his penalty but rules are rules and the rule is a lifetime ban....he knew that before he cheated but chose to do so anyway.

Personally I think it would have been wrong for him to run and do out a really clean athelte who would have lost out on a possible dream because of a cheat.

:Clap::Clap:

Some people will say he done the crime and served his penalty but rules are rules and the rule is a lifetime ban....he knew that before he cheated but chose to do so anyway.

Personally I think it would have been wrong for him to run and do out a really clean athelte who would have lost out on a possible dream because of a cheat.

:Clap::Clap:

i agree with that mate he knew the consequences

Back