Celtic's Burns succumbs to cancer

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Celtic legend Tommy Burns has died at the age of 51 after losing his long-running battle against cancer.

Burns had been undergoing treatment in both Glasgow and France in recent weeks after being diagnosed in March of this year.

In 2006, the former Scotland midfielder received treatment for skin cancer but it returned two years later.

He began playing for Celtic in 1974 and was the club's first-team coach before being granted leave.

A statement from Celtic said: "Tommy, a true Celtic Legend and wonderful man will be sadly missed by us all. Clearly, our thoughts are very much with Tommy's wife Rosemary and his family at this extremely difficult time."

More follows.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7402185.stm

Published: 2008/05/15 07:19:10 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

A great man and true legend in Celtic and Scotland. He will be sadly missed indeed. He played for the jersey with passion.

R.I.P Tommy.

Woke up this morning still hurting from Rangers' loss last night to Zenit St. Petersburgh, but the pain of that defeat is nothing compared to the pain I felt when I heard of the passing of Celtic and Scotland legend Mr Tommy Burns. God rest his soul.

RIP Tommy. I just heard the, very sad news.

thebigman

One of my childhood heroes, very sad. :(

RIP Tommy.

A true gent and a great man. Well respected from both sides of the divide.
R.I.P. Tommy and God bless your family.
Sad sad day for Scottish football.

Back