Celtic players in pub fracas


VIP Member
VIP Member
Jan 1, 2004
Reaction score
The Penny Arcade
CELTIC star Darren O'Dea was taken away in handcuffs after a late-night street brawl.

O'Dea and teammates Aiden McGeady and Scott Brown were abused by drunken thugs hours after the club's first SPL match of the season at Parkhead on Sunday.

Brown was punched in the face while O'Dea was arrested and spent three hours in police custody for his role in the scrap.

The incident came just months after McGeady clashed with Rangers fans outside the same nightclub.

The latest trouble started after yobs targeted the three on a night out at trendy nightclub Bamboo in Glasgow city centre.

Trouble flared outside in the early hours of Monday after Ireland international winger McGeady, 22, was attacked.

Irish defender O'Dea, 21, was arrested and fined for breach of the peace before being released later.

A number of other Celtic players had been celebrating a win over St Mirren in the West Regent Street club before the fight, which saw Scotland midfielder Brown, 23, punched in the face.

A witness said: "There was a bit of bother brewing for most of the night.

"The players were having a drink, signing autographs and posing for pictures, and seemed to be having fun.

"A few guys were winding them up but as the night went on it started getting nasty.

"Guys were giving the players real pelters and abusing them.

"There was a bit of a confrtontation and it looked like Brown was punched before the bouncers got involved.

"The players started to leave but as McGeady got outside he was jumped by a gang who set about him.

"O'Dea then became involved and the police turned up.

"The place was crawling with cops and they were taking statements off everyone."

Another eyewitness said most of the trouble kicked off outside the club.

He said: "McGeady, Brown and O'Dea were at the doorway, presumably waiting for taxis.

"Brown looked pretty wrecked and instead of waiting for a couple of minutes until things calmed down, he climbed over the railings, and walked into the street where a cab pulled up.

"One guy ran forward and battered him in the back of the head, Brown staggered forward and got a punch above the eye from someone else. His eye looked pretty cut-up.

"McGeady was standing at the door looking like he was about to burst into tears."

The Celtic players had been at a beach party at Bamboo.

It featured clubbers in bikinis, Hawaiian shorts and flower garlands.

A Celtic spokesman said the club's players had been the victims of an unprovoked attack.

He added: "Police are carrying out their inquiries into the incident and we will, of course, co-operate fully with this."

A police spokeswoman said: "Police were called to the report of a disturbance outside Bamboo nightclub.

"A 23-year-old male was the victim of a minor assault. As a result, two men, aged 18 and 19, were arrested and a report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

"A 21-year-old male was also arrested for breach of the peace. He was issued with a fixed-penalty notice and later released."

A statement from Bamboo said: "Some patrons of our club were attacked in the street after leaving our establishment.

"Our stewards and the police intervened to ensure their safety."

In April, McGeady was targeted while on a night out at Bamboo.

He clashed with Rangers fans after being taunted as he left the club with teammate Scott McDonald.
Last edited: