CD Drive Disappeared....

kimigonzales

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys! For some reason my CD Drive has gone off my laptop; its no longer on my Vaio for some reason....

I have tried searching for it and have looked in My Computer but its not there.

Also, I put an original DVD into it and other CDs but they were not recognised....

Any ideas whats happenend guys?

I would appreciate any advice on how I could recover the drive.

Thanks in advance guys!

PS- my laptops is running on XP Home Edition.

first of all check and see if the drive is in the bios!

Also load up My Computer, click file and then 'new shortcut' type in the drive letter it originally was when it was working. (e.g D:/)

Has the laptop been dropped recently, been re-formatted etc........ more information is required to diagnose a problem with it.

If all fails do a system restore like dutcho said :)

thanx for the replies, the laptop had been reformatted had to do it with the recovery disc. i cant check bios rite now cos i in uni and laptop is at home. but i'll check when i get in.

i reloaded xp a while ago tho and its only now the cd drive has disappeared???

could be a case of the drivers not loaded properly, but that doesn't explain why you cant see the drive, it should act as just a CD-ROM drive if that is the case.

When you get home have a tinker with it, if no luck then post back.

Hi guys, Thanx for the replies. just checked the bios it said Ive got a floppy drive, optical drive and hard drive but no mention of a CD-ROM drive and also ive tried to search for the drive but no luck so I don't know what to do?

Hi, I had this exact problem on my Vaio and the only thing that fixed it was a system restore. After that everything was back to normal. I still don't know what caused it though.

Also try reseating the drive, had a few laptops where this has been necessary for what reason I dont know....

Beyond that the suggestions mentioned above are all good... if they fail lord be with you. I have a vaio desktop and remember when I got the HD replaced on warranty....took all of 3 months!! For a HD, i could of done it in ten minutes

:(: maggie :

If some one has opened the lid, then it is probably as easy as the IDE is the wrong way round. It should of picked up a drive in the bios.

have a look on the viao forum, i seem to remember seeing a few things about dvd/cd dissapearing

h**p://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/index

You say in the bios you have a floppy drive? do you? my viao is about 18 months old now and has no floppy drive. How did you re-install XP you must have used the cd/dvd rom then. Try a search for new hardware as long as you have not messed about with your bios it must be a driver problem.

re: no cd

U cannot autodetect a floppy from with in the bios. U can state whether one is present or not and have it check for one in the post.

A CD drive is an optical drive. Have u tried auto detecting IDE devices?

Notice a few people are suggesting system restore. Always a good place to start although most of the time it does nothing.

Does the drive appear in the device manager?

Back