cctv via pc question

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
anyone know if you can you set up a home cctv system through your pc. i see some cards on ebay that said they were for a cctv system but was not sure what else was needed, just wanted to set up a camera on front and back of the house and as the pc monitor is on most of the time it would be a ideal way to set up a system with out the need for a seperate monitor ..

ht*p://www.digital-cybermasters.co.uk/

just found this if any good bit pricey though

thx m8 they are quite a lot of money them cards look the same as the ones on ebay and they were a lot cheeper than that . so maybe if you get the card from ebay and then picked up s couple of cheap cameras it may not work out to bad

[DLMURL]http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/Tranwo_outdoor_camrecCCTVSystemsdeals.htm[/DLMURL]

heres a outdoor wireless one with nightvision

Last edited by a moderator:
not bad looks quite cheap until you add a extra camera at 79 squid but i guess that the camera is the most expensive part of the kit

Damage, thats the sort of card you need, you will need an outside camera of course.
The cameras are powered by 240v via an internal txfmr.

Its a DSR and its very good, I have one running at my dads pub. and it caught some fecker trying to rob the shop next door.....

The only downside its quite processor intensive, so you will need atleast a 1.6MHz with a min if 512 meg of ram for TWO cameras. Thats if you want the full frame rate. 25fps which is what I would reccomemnd.

Make sure the card comes with software, to capture the video, you will need software that has VERY Good compression. I have the software somewhere that I am running at my dads pub somewhere and its very good. about 4 weeks continuous @ fullsize 25fps on a 130 gig drive:)

Also you want Black and White not colour, as come dusk the colour becomes usless.

The Black and White will only need a low wattage security light to come on

thx m8 the card on ebay does look very impressive .i could set it up on my main pc with a gig of ram or .i have a spare it only has 256meg of ram but i could upgrade it cheeply i will have to look into it a bit more but seems a good way to set up a powerfull cctv system .

Yeah its a great way of creating a good security system.

I would run it independantly from your normal PC, the one at the pubs sits in the cupboard, and any video required is pulled off via the wireless network

can you use most any camera's m8. are they connected to the card with coax .

Yeah, as long at they are compatable with coax yes, the connections on the card will be BNC

you will be looking at in excess of 60quid for a decent camera.

thx m8 i think i am a bit more in the know now lol . it was just something i was going to do a while ago and never got around to it . my brother gave my parents one of the door ones for xmas it was not very expensive but not bad just to see who was at the door before you opened it ...

Yeah, the money you spend must be in proportion to what you want to acheive.

If all you are after is something to check who is at your door, you can get the kit for £40.
but
If you want something to protect your property, I would reccomend spend it on the tyoe of system that has been mentioned. i.e DSR and 60quid cameras

Back