CCTV cable question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A long story regarding a friend's dog so, he has a camera down the garden the camera cable was one of those pre sealed 30m cables with moulded ends.
when he's cut back the cable it has 3 cables, a red white and a unsheilded cable. If I were to connect it back up with baluns which is + - for the picture and power ?

Bit confused here and I am an electrical engineer :) You are asking how you re-connect a moulded cable that has been cut...correct? You do not need a balun to do so and a simple like for like connection via a connector block will suffice for low voltage connections like this. So all you need to do is replicate like for like color coded connections.

I guessed that the dog bit through the cable or went up a ladder with a pair of cutters.

Long story and a dog, it's a shaggy dog story 🤣

Dog chewed the cable outside...it was buried between flags. The guy then pulled it back through the into house but mislaid the end so now he has 20 odd metres of cable that just needs piecing.
I'll tell you what, theres not a feckin Sherlock or Poirot amongst you lot.

As for replicate it like for like cable wise ?. I offered to sort it thinking it would have 4 wires in the moulded cable.

I used cat5 full copper and screw baluns. Thing is i use 6 out the 8 wires 2 pos 2 neg power 1 each pos neg picture. His old cable has a red white and unshielded.

Back