CCJ Advice

Dave Mckenzie

Inactive User
Reaction score
alright guys,

Im just curious, ive just been given a judgment by a court for a o2 bill i got for a mate n he never paid bout 3 years ago.

what i want to know is........do i have to pay this outstanding amount? if so who to? or is there anything i can do to get this off my credit file without waiting 6 years???

please help! lol

Dave

yeah, it went to debt recovery and i paid £30 off a month and my mate gave me the money, but the sods done a runner, and im left with the bill. tried stating this in my 'defence' on the court thing, but because i paid some of it to the debt people apparently i cant get out of saying its not mine!

its only £200 which i dont mind paying as i need a clean crdit file as i want a mortgage but i think i may be screwed

yup you are screwed.

By paying it under your name, you acknowledged the debt is yours, so it will now be very hard to get out of it. That is unless, you are able to get your mate to sign a letter etc from a solicitor stating the debt is his.

You may want to arrange with the debt collector to see if you can pay it off in installments untill it is away. Whatever you do, keep up with your payments for now, if it gets sorted along the way you will be awarded the money back - but as you say, you need to keep your credit file clean.

even if you pay it it will remain on file as satisfied for 6 years thats if you can get them to update there info after you have paid !! best to check if it shows up by joining Experian theres a free 30trail on most of the time
join see if its there you may get lucky ....
sorry to bare bad news but tbh if the rest of your file is good it should not be a huge issue ...

ive got a experian thing mate, i dont know who to pay this money to now? do i go back to the collections company or what????

ive got a experian thing mate, i dont know who to pay this money to now? do i go back to the collections company or what????
Ignore that bit on experian - they are just a credit referencing company, the sort of thing banks etc will refer to when you apply for a loan or mortgage, it isnt important to you right now.

If you live in England, the outcome(what ever it is) will only be on your credit file for five years, its only six in Scotland. This time period is as far back as anyone will ever go, so it wont really be there for the rest of your life.

Do you have any arrangements with a debt recovery company right now? If you do, just stick to the repayments for the time being. If not, get in touch with them to figure something out.

If they act up, tell them you are going to the citizens advice people. Go speak to them, and they will explain all your rights to you.

I think the CCJ will be mentioned to banks and mortgage lenders, even if you pay up.

The judgement has been made and is a matter of public record.

In the financial climate we are now in, the wobbly banks won't lend to anyone who is vaguely suspect.

Hard luck mate. It would have been better to have paid up before the judgement and sorted your 'mate' out later.

Never, never sign a contract for anybody

well i was young and nieeve i spose, ill give them a ring n ask if i can pay £30 a month off or summet get it over n done with, ive seen websites that can 'clean' your credit file for you, so i might have a look into that.

well i was young and nieeve i spose, ill give them a ring n ask if i can pay £30 a month off or summet get it over n done with, ive seen websites that can 'clean' your credit file for you, so i might have a look into that.

Don't pay to clean your file.
These people charge to do something you can do yourself, and that's only after an interval of time.
They'll charge you even if they fail. I'd steer clear if I were you.

When you apply for a mortgage or a loan, talk face to face with whoever is authorised to grant the credit.
Tell them your story, they may side with you.

Some loan companies state that CCJs don't matter but invariably the interest rate will be extortionate.

Always try your own bank first, they know you and your real credit capabilities.

Good luck to you fella.

do you actually have a CCJ against you in your name?

Ok, this will basically be a problem for you for the next 5 or six years (depending on where you live) when it comes to getting a loan, credit card or mortgage.

Keep up with your repayments and speak to your local CAB for more advice on what you can/cant do etc.

Let me assure you its 6years in england !! even if satisfied ...
Unless its set aside by a judge or paid in one month and a satisfaction letter submitted ...
Secondly i referred you to experian to see if its registered on your file , If it is There should be contact information on the report under Useful addresses , this should contain the details of anyone with an interest in your credit history , Best to write to them as theres a trail that way ...
Now if this shows on your file as satisfied theres a small percentage of lenders that will see this in a negative light but not all and your not screwed ,,,
I would get it paid off asap and then you can keep checking your file for the update before you apply for a mortgage .. As for ignoring well there the credit reference agency that are used by most lenders kinda important if ya ask me as well as having the info to enable you to pay off this debit ...
ive only worked in this field for 10+ years so i know nothing about Lending credit /debit recovery humm

fall down a manhole and call injurylawyers4u...you may be in a wheelchair but you'll be able to pay off your debt! :proud:

This is another sad case of nice guys finish last it seems - your mate is a dickhead, I would march him down the cashpoint for £500 as hes fucked you up so much - you may end up paying hundereds more on your loans etc because of this.

Sadly as stated above you have already started to pay the debt you must continue to do so.

sue your mate for the cost of your rent for the remainder of the judgement cos you aint buying a house for a few years yet !

Back