Cat8

Is it worth upgrading to cat8 Ethernet cables ?

yes if you want to have 25 or 40 GBs speed however Cat8 maximum length is 30 metres only so only useful for server to switch connection within a data centre

I have cat 6 and was laughed at when i wanted to go for cat7 lol. I plan ahead you see but if you have the money go for cat 8!

He's just a clocker chaps.

Probably will never to return to the thread.

Let's dissect it a bit anyway:

"Is it worth upgrading to cat8 Ethernet cables ?"

The "upgrading" bit implies that cables are already installed and, presumably, performing adequately.

I'm not to sure what you mean by I'm just a clocker?
I'm asking for people's opinions.
I'm looking for a new router an thinking is it worth updating the cables at same time and seen that there's now cat 8 cables.
Thanks for the reply tho.

Your first 6 posts were on different subjects and were made in the space of 17 minutes. This is the usual MO of a post clocker (someone who is after a download and has to make 5 reasonable posts). Your posts were also quite short so took no effort, this is also the trait of a clocker.
All too often we see members offering help, even doing a bit of research without realising the original poster doesn't give a shit. The OP was just here for a download, never to be seen again till they need something else.

When I seen your posts last night I too dismissed you as a clocker.
Prove us wrong.

So I'm not following trends around networking.

I get that the speed of the cable is higher for cat 5/6/7/8 etc... but in realistic terms how can you go faster than your router or switch if it is only a gigabit router etc... do you also have to go for faster one's too, to see any major difference?

I'm looking for a new router an thinking is it worth updating the cables at same time and seen that there's now cat 8 cables.

Llike as @chookey says, a lot of people appear on here and just post five or six one-liners then they are off to downloads. Apologies if you are not a post clocker but that's what it looked like at the time and when this does happen it's unfair on members that take time to reply.

~~
~

you will need some serious enterprise kit to support cat8 speeds -

as I said cat8 is used within data centres not for home use

~~
~

you will need some serious enterprise kit to support cat8 speeds -

as I said cat8 is used within data centres not for home use

I was wondering what cards support that. >25Gb is going to saturate a PCI bus, surely?

We run Gb over CAT4 under the floors at work :).

I was wondering what cards support that. >25Gb is going to saturate a PCI bus, surely?

We run Gb over CAT4 under the floors at work :).

PCI bus cant really support 1GB hence PCI Express cards are need to get full 1GB

as for 25GB no cards can support that as of yet (that I know of) even they do they you will need PCI Express 3 to supports that kind of speeds

PCI bus cant really support 1GB hence PCI Express cards are need to get full 1GB

as for 25GB no cards can support that as of yet (that I know of) even they do they you will need PCI Express 3 to supports that kind of speeds

I'm getting a bit old fashioned again, are built in network ports still usually hanging off PCI?

Would a PCIe 4.0 x4 card manage >25Mb?

So I'm not following trends around networking.

I get that the speed of the cable is higher for cat 5/6/7/8 etc... but in realistic terms how can you go faster than your router or switch if it is only a gigabit router etc... do you also have to go for faster one's too, to see any major difference?

I just done an Ookla speed test. i'm with Virgin (just broadband) and it's only 15 Mbps.................lol

Think their slowest is now 100Mbps ?

I do still use their router in modem mode as the Wifi was shite, it's then linked to a Linksysy WRT54G (sure thats rared to 300Mbps)

Any ideas on whats going on ?

Cheers

I just done an Ookla speed test. i'm with Virgin (just broadband) and it's only 15 Mbps.................lol

Think their slowest is now 100Mbps ?

I do still use their router in modem mode as the Wifi was shite, it's then linked to a Linksysy WRT54G (sure thats rared to 300Mbps)

Any ideas on whats going on ?

Cheers

I beleive that Virgin used to work in non cabled areas, but just checked and i'm sure they moved those people to talk talk. So its not that!

Another posibility is that you've been fair usaged'd were they throttle you down for so long. Have you done some serious downloading?

Also maybe something else in the house is using the bandwidth? That router you talked about does have a section where it tells you whats using the bandwidth and when, shows a graph too!

It would be nice having a gb internet and just using a mag for all content,his upload speed was 430 and i think we were all conned when told upgrades in your area to fibre and still using copper cable input.

I beleive that Virgin used to work in non cabled areas, but just checked and i'm sure they moved those people to talk talk. So its not that!

Another posibility is that you've been fair usaged'd were they throttle you down for so long. Have you done some serious downloading?

Also maybe something else in the house is using the bandwidth? That router you talked about does have a section where it tells you whats using the bandwidth and when, shows a graph too!

I do run a few BTC miners, don't download hardly anything, less than 5Gb a month. I will look into the router now.

It's been this speed for years, always 15Mbps ?

I do run a few BTC miners, don't download hardly anything, less than 5Gb a month. I will look into the router now.

I once got a Bitcoin virus cos i downloaded mining programs that claimed to be better than the rest! Wasnt until I checked the log i told you about on the router, it showed me everyday I was doing uploading hefty gigs of data. I knew it wasnt me as I wasnt in and no one was!

yes if you want to have 25 or 40 GBs speed however Cat8 maximum length is 30 metres only so only useful for server to switch connection within a data centre

Unlikely you're going to run cat anything in a DC for those speeds, you're looking at fibre cables. Single or multi dependent upon what distance you require. Also you'd need some serious kit to even be able to run it. You're talking Nexus 7k/9k as a switch with massive SFPs to support the 40Gbps speeds.

Nexus 7k is roughly 100k on it's own with a discount, the SFPs are about 2/3k each as well. Im not even sure servers can support 40Gbps yet, i've only seen it being used on storage, netapp and such.

There may well be other vendors that can run that type of speed, but you're only going to use it in a DC environment, or at ISP level, and even then you'd go down the fibre route.

Surely the energy consumption outweighs the coin you're mining? Majority of miners these days run massive farms in china, and have sewn the market up.

Back