cascade router

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys can someone point me to a thread please that explains how I can cascade my dd-wrt router to my vmin sup hub. cheers

Disable router mode on SH (varies depending on version) plug router into SH (port varies on version).

thanks spectre. I have not subscribed as yet to a vpn and am after my SH working as it should for all my children and banking stuff and the dd-wrt working for my laptop only which I use to only watch films etc. so what you describe here is the lan to lan method am I correct in thinking as appose to the Lan to Wan method. Basicly without confusing myself even more if i do what you say will both routers still be working as I wish.

edited... as i have previously done what you explain and understand that the sh will be in modem mode so my dd-wrt will be primary router. That is not what im trying to achieve

Am I correct in assuming that you have
2 routers(SH for normal traffic and most devices, dd-wrt for VPN and your devices)?

If this is the case you not have change any config on the SH just connect the dd-wrt to the SH and run the VPN on dd-wrt.

Now on the devices you want to go through the VPN change these devices default gateway to the IP of the open-wrt IP. This will send all traffic destined to outside your network to use the VPN router.

Regardless if the device is connected either by physicaly/wifi to the VPN router it will still be able to send the traffic through the VPN once the VPN router is accessable from the SH network.

that is the plan. I am waiting for my secondary router to come through post at the moment. a few years back I flashed tomatoe on an old belkin but misses binned it it one of her cleaning frenzies. Ive not used wwrt as yet so was sort of pre-empting problems that I might come across when I try to get it all set up. I will try what you suggest first and see where that takes me thanks. Again with my pre-empting problems Ive read that some vpns behave differently with a cascaded router and might not work. Is that your experience? just so im aware before i sign up to a vpn.

at minute im bored at work so thought i would kill time.

I have never had any issues with VPN using the method I suggested. Only issue you will run into is device configuration.

In the method I suggested all you are really doing is connecting to a VPN from a device(dd-wrt) and sending traffic through that connection from other devices once you have the device configured correctly e.g with IP forwarding enabled(may not be needed with dd-wrt) you should not have any problems.

I use a similar method to what I have suggested but instead of using a router I just use a very basic VM to do the same thing. You could also use a raspberry pi.

This means I do no need all my devices connected to the VPN. I only need a VPN sub that only needs 1 connection instead of a VPN sub with a connection for each of my devices.

hi guys, just got my router and have inet access via it but i want to change ssid and password. ive tried default log ins but have failed to get access to settings. any ideas please.

i have done a factory reset now. i had inet access before but now that i have access to the wrt router i have lost inet access. i will read up on what settings i need to change to regain inet access. any pointers would be appreciated.

Hello again. I have set up my secondary router with a L2TP vpn on dd-wrt but it fails to connect when I go to status and click connect under WAN tab so briefly i loose all connection to router then it comes back on. I do not have superhub in modem mode Idealy i wanted superhub serving family and sevondary hub serving kodi and netflix etc. Has anyone had this setup working at all or am i missing something

There should be log files that you can check and determine the cause of it not connecting.

I do not use dd-wrt so unsure of there location but a quick google should find them for you.

Back