Carnt re-load windows xp.???????????

Mr Parsnip

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all my main computer has gone down in a big way and it has completly stumped me.

I got a virus of btjunkie (supposidly a very new type of trojon horse) i downloaded many virus checkers and none of them could remove it so i set to deleting the c: and re-formating so i could install windows.

i used a win98 boot disk which i have used many times before and got to the part where you delete the partition which i did and then i started fdisk

suddenly the comp turns itself of completly so i put in the win xp cd and set the bios to boot from the cdrom which it did, it started to install windows until it gets to the kernal debugg section and then it shuts down everytime.

Now i have tried putting the win98 floppy disk back in and it says the disk is missing files and also it says in block caps on the top left hand conrner (MISSING SYSTEM OPERATION)

then it turns it off.

I have been told by a fellow member that it could be the c: knackard or the memory i have found out that it isnt the memory as i have changed it with spares and it just does the same.

i dont think its the c: either i just think i am missing the part of boot up i need as the floppy i use is fooked now? but why does it boot from the cdrom

I don't think its your C that's knackered either. If it was you would'nt be getting the message (MISSING SYSTEM OPERATION). I suspect that your MBR is corrupt and it needs to be fixed. If you have a boot disk that works the command would be fdisk /mbr

Take a look at this site it might help you

http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-boot-record-windows-linux-lilo-fixmbr.php

So what virus or trojan do you think you've got?

Hello all me again i have downloaded the following aplication from the above site.

the question i have now is its downloaded as a aplication do i just burn this to disk and it should boot via the cdrom or to i install it somehow and then copy it?

I believe it needs to be put onto a bootable floppy and booted from...

Instructions from the site say...

Create any bootable floppy disk/diskette A: (even with older Windows systems)

Run MbrFix to see the current list of partitions: mbrfix /drive 0 listpartitions

Run MbrFix in the following way: mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr

If you have more than 1 physicial hard disk (hard drive), you have to use proper number for your disk. E.g. change 0 to sdifferent number (1, 2 etc.)

Hope this helps...

I assume that you are using a bootable XP CD then when you get to screen regarding which partition to install to, delete all the existing partitions and then create a new one to install to. Do not try and install to an existing partition and formatting it.

I assume that you are using a bootable XP CD then when you get to screen regarding which partition to install to, delete all the existing partitions and then create a new one to install to. Do not try and install to an existing partition and formatting it.

Yes i am using a bootable XP cd i have used the same cd before for my laptop so i know it work, i have got passed the stage where u delete the partition(completed)then it just turned my comp off

i have tried alsorts now im really getting pissed off and feel like smashing it up i have used umpteen cd trying to make a new boot cd but with no results.

Guess it's time you decided what you want to do. But the best way to get results is to be very methodical and take this one step at a time. Also it may help you to talk directly with one person on this issue, either by PM or telephone or both. Then maybe instead of wanting to smash it up as you say, you might get to the bottom of what the problem is and get it fixed.

Can you boot from a floppy,( win 98 or me boot disk) if so boot up then format c: then try it from the xp cd.

what is the model of your HD? If you know this then you can download utilities from the manufacturers site, onto floppy, and then check the HD out and repair it, if possible.

Just thought i would update you all.

After leaving the computer for a few weeks i thought i would give it another go,i started with yet another xp cd with a genuine serial and try and guess what it started doing it again shutting its self down.

so i set to looking at the parts in more detail,after taking the system apart i came to my big (aeroplane engine fan)which lies on top of my processor.

I took the fan off and dismantled it inside there was a large tunnel which was full of dust and cat hair so i gave it a full clean and hoover i cleaned it by using a old small arts brush so that was the fan cleaned out,then i took the cover off which was over the processor and then found a small clump of dust which lay on the top of it which was making it over heat so i cleaned it off and gave the tower and all other parts a good clean and hoover.

put it all back together and tried again and guess what all done.

thanks for all your help guys.

because of the cat hair i have now shaved him to the skin so it wont happen again.

Mr P

Last edited:
Back